• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Physics and collision detection libraries for a 3D game in Cocos2D-X

This topic is 784 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am developing a cross-platform 3D FPS game using Cocos2D-X on Windows machine. I want to implement the physics for bullet projectiles and first person character controller. Also, I want to implement feature of collision detection between 3D game objects. I searched online for resources, but could not find any helpful resources. I found the game developers' blog discussing about use of Bullet Physics library in Cocos2D-X. While exploring Cocos2D-X framework, I found that classes from Bullet Physics library are present in the external folder of the Cocos2D-X framework. So, I think that Bullet physics library is in-built in Cocos2D-X.

I have the following questions:

1. Which libraries are best for Physics and Collision detection for a 3D game development in Cocos2D-X?

2. If Bullet Physics library is best solution, then how to use this library in the development of 3D game on Cocos2D-X?

I would appreciate any information and tutorial resources related to this topic. Thank you in advance.

Advertisement

Hi @Octane_Test,

I've already used Bullet Physics with Cocos, its just matter of storing a pointer to the sprite in the physics body and updating the sprite with the physics body's transformation after the simulation step.

To make a long story short, Cocos3d was a plugin for 3d graphics created for Cocos2d, back in the days when the framework was just for Objective-C and the iOS and OS X platforms. When the framework was ported to C++ they also started porting the 3d library that now is built-in into the engine.

Here you can take a look at a hello world example that integrates Bullet into Cocos3d (Obj-C), maybe the API has changed in recent versions but it may help you get an idea on how to do it.

Regards.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement