• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jevdsnny

AttachEntityToBone

This topic is 6119 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Has anyone used this sucessfully on multiple models without having to change the Rotation and Offset values? It would seem that the item should be attached directly to the bone, and thus, if the bone was approximately correct to the mesh, putting something in one models hand would result in it being approximately correct for all models- not so in my tests. If an entity model is centered at 0,0,0 in 3DS MAX, and the bone is in the middle of the hand, shouldn''t the entity model attach to the hand properly without any offset, just needing some rotation to get the right orientation? My test seems to indicate that the item is not being attached to the bone, but some offset of the bone for the given animation...there is definitly something screwy here. Does anyone have experience using this feature on more than one character model and entity? It would really stink to have to have an offset/rotation setting for every combination of model and entity.

Advertisement
The attached entity uses the bone information for placement. If you use the same bones.pro and animation files (*.prb) for your characters it will be aligned in the same way regardless of the mesh you display.

Please read part 7 of the character tutorial about centering a weapon model to make sure you did that correctly.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!