Ask a specific question.

Otherwise do any combination of:

1. Draw something.
  2. Create some music.
  3. Program something.
  4. Design something.

There. You’ve begun developing a game.

L. Spiro

I restore Nintendo 64 video-game OST’s into HD! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCtX_wedtZ5BoyQBXEhnVZw/playlists?view=1&sort=lad&flow=grid

Well, that is kind off a hard question to answer....

More information needed:

1) Do you have any relevant skills (art, coding, working with a game engine, etc.)?

2) What is your goal (game dev as a hobby, enter the industry, become an Indie dev)?

3) What are your interests (because without passion you wont get far in game dev)?

The short answer is "Just do it!"... start meddling with simple game projects, learn some coding, learn to use game engines, either become somewhat competent in art (if you aren't already), or find an artist to work with / find resources that can provide you with art (paid or not). Then rinse and repeat, until you become good enough to tackle the project you where planning / are good enough to go looking for a job / are able to produce games that sell.

Given on your goals, the longer answer will vary slightly:

1) Game dev as a hobby: just start. But start small. Pong, Pacman, Tetris. See what makes a game tick, and learn basic coding. Without coding, you will have to rely on a programmer all the time. If you have one, then you don't need to learn coding of course... it never hurts thought.

Stick to it... its a long process to get somewhat competent in programming, or art, or any of the other professions involved. Find your thing, start concentrating on that, use proxies for the other parts, or team up with others at some point (just see that you bring something to the table in skills at that time).

2) Game dev as a career: Same as above, but additionally you will need a degree. Depending on what your career plans are, a CS degree or an art degree are best. Don't waste too much time looking for the perfect Game Design school... most of these programs seem to be of questionable quality, and it seems game studios do not care too much for what your degree is as long as it is halfway relevant, and you have an AWESOME PORTFOLIO of your own work you can show them.

3) Same as above, but you need to get good in marketing and business topics in addition. Making a living as an Indie is hard enough as is, you will need a lot of business related knowledge to survive.

A word of warning: be prepared to spend years on learning the relevant skills until you can start to produce something in the quality you are thinking about at the moment. Be aware that most projects beginners have in mind are way to big in scope even for seasoned Indie devs.

I have experience in C++ and other programming language.

Game dev as hobby.

I have passion, but i dont know get started.

You might want to start by modding an existing game to get an idea of how assets and code come together.

Then, if you're already comfortable programming, try your hand at a basic interactive game like tic-tac-toe to get a feel for the game loop.

Following that, something graphics intensive like a falling-blocks or breakout-style game.

After that, let your ambition run wild, but consider using a devkit like Unity so you can focus on creativity instead of infrastructure and get more ongoing satisfaction from producing something.

Stephen M. Webb
Professional Free Software Developer

How to begin in game development ?

What exactly does one want to do in game development?

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

This article is often linked in these cases http://www.gamedev.net/page/resources/_/technical/game-programming/your-first-step-to-game-development-starts-here-r2976

I'd suggest you read it, and then come back with questions that didn't get answered.

Assuming you know how to draw things on screen and respond to mouse/keyword input, make a simple game, like Pong, or Tetris.

Take note of what was hard, what parts of code turned out to be messy, inflexible or cumbersome. Then research to see how others have solved these problems.

Repeat.

I am also brand new to game development and I would love some tips/ answers to the following questions.

Wilmington, you have hijacked someone else's thread. Please start your own.
I unapproved your post to keep things clean in Quest Tux's thread.
Wilmington and Quest Tux, your first step is to read this forum's FAQ.
http://www.gamedev.net/page/reference/faq.php/_/for-beginners-r1
And Wilmington, another forum's FAQs (Game Industry Job Advice):
http://www.gamedev.net/page/reference/faq.php/_/breaking-into-the-industry-r16

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

To start developing a game project, you need to have good knowledge of C #, if programmed on Unity 3D software, you must have a certain knowledge of how to use this software. And an important thing, you have to have good imagination. Thus, the project's first game will complete very quickly. Good luck!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement