• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Ramel Mammo

In need of good CPP algorithm books

This topic is 933 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello. For the past few hours, I've been searching for sufficient algorithm book (to use for my game programming learning). I want a general book that covers all the essential algorithms and data structures. I have read on some forums that Cormen's Introduction to Algorithms is good, but lacks the mathematical explanation. I'm not the best at mathematics, but I can grasp a concept if it is explained. I've always wanted to read Sedgewick's Algorithims, but it's written in Java so i'm not sure if that will cause any problems.

Question: What is the best Data Structure/Algorithm book for C++?

Advertisement

Robert Sedgewick's "Algorithms" books are good. Over history he has put them in C, C++, and Java, but the core algorithms are easily moved from language to language.

When it comes to books about data structures and algorithms, Wirth's "Data Structures and Algorithms" is an obvious must read. It teaches its concepts using the arcane language of Oberon instead of the fancier C++. But the source is easy enough to understand and, as frob mentioned, the language doesn't really matter.

When it comes to books about data structures and algorithms, Wirth's "Data Structures and Algorithms" is an obvious must read. It teaches its concepts using the arcane language of Oberon instead of the fancier C++. But the source is easy enough to understand and, as frob mentioned, the language doesn't really matter.

+1, you beat me to the punch. But yeah that is a very good book. It goes over most of the common algorithms a computer scientist will know. The book does a damn good job explaining algorithms, data structures, and graph theory. There's a segment in it that goes over the fastest route as well which is a basis for path finding.

Other than that, Specific algorithms are dependent on your needs. Which you'll most likely have a better time browsing the internet, than the local library for such things.

Edited by Tangletail

Thank you all for help. I'll read Wirth's book and implement the concepts with C++. After that I might still try "Algorithms" and do the same thing.

Knuth's TAOCP.  If it's not in there, you don't need it.

It was once the best reference, for what it contained.  But that was back in the early 1970s. 

These days it is more a thing that people talk about but have not actually read.  It is math-heavy and theory-heavy, but not particularly practical. It is based entirely on a made-up language running on a made-up processor, neither of them bear any resemblance to modern languages or modern processors. It makes many assumptions about computers which were true enough in 1968, '69, and '73 when they were released, but are no longer true. 

Most modern books are far more approachable. Modern books tend to cover more material.

Read it if you are interested in it, but it is more of a historical note than useful for someone asking for a good C++-related algorithms book.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!