• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Need help with making a game. Need tips and more

This topic is 775 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Note: If i seem like i dont know very much java, I dont, I only know a bit of it and would like to learn a few things on Game Dev

I have a bit of knowledge on coding with eclipse, I would like to either make a game similar to minecraft or terraria, a 3D game or 2D, If you could help and show some examples I'd be glad to learn how to code games, I have NEVER made a game before, And i would like to learn and experience it while asking questions on what to do. This is my first time on this site so I will be probably staying on most of the time for help. And i will be using eclipse.

Advertisement

Welcome to the gamedev forums. And I'll officially be the first one to tell you this on this forums I guess.

Lower your goals. Minecraft, Terraria, Starbound, and any randomly generated content game uses a set of alogirthms to get the results that you see. These algorithms are not trivial to implement correctly for the use of any game. They require a good deal of understanding some of the foundations that goes into game programming. Of course I guess you could always get some sort of Unity plug in that does the work for you. *shrugs*.

My suggestion. Get more accustomed to the language that you are using. Make Pong, then a mario clone, then a metroidvania, etc.

Of course I guess you could always get some sort of Unity plug in that does the work for you. *shrugs*.

This is pretty misleading. There is no way quick & easy way to develop a monstrous sized game like Minecraft. Such games have taken a great deal of time and knowledge to reach their current scales.

Start real small. Some small games to get started on could be: Pong, asteroids, four-in-a-row.

You also need to ask yourself some questions - For instance: Are you going to learn to create games in an engine, or using a language + libraries (e.g. C++ and SFML)? I would really strongly recommend to learn to code to a reasonable standard in at least one language first though, no matter what direction you eventually take. The techniques you learn there will only be of benefit later on. In particular, I think understanding "pure coding" concepts can really help on the kind of thinking that is required to make a game, even if you're making it in a game engine. Maybe you could continue to learn Java and become better at that. Personally, I like to recommend people learn C++ as it is a useful and efficient language that teaches some techniques you might miss out on learning higher level languages, while still offering the higher level concepts too.

There will also be a point that you need to start learning math. And a lot of it.

Algebra, Linear Algebra, Trigonometry, Geometry, Calculus, and Physics.

Just to name off reasons.

To have an AI lead a shot, to apply principles of gravity, and to move objects around are principles of Physics, Trig and Linear Algebra.

To move an object around through space, to rotate, scale, to find 90 degree angles between objects, or to look at something is a product of Linear Algebra and Trig.

To figure out if an object is within a certain space, which is for interactions in GUI and point and click stuff, that's a product of Geometry, trig, and Linear Algebra.

To accelerate objects through space, to make a health bar that rolls down with time to the new value, or slow objects down, that is a product of Calculus

Those are the most basic levels of math at the core of a game.

Edited by Tangletail

Ok I've gotten pong made, But i want to make a shop on everytime someone scores it gives them a point, Im already working on the gui. I just need to understand how to make a shop.

Make a screen that looks like a shop (on paper first!).

I assume you'll want to have 'items' in your shop, so make a list. Make a graphic for each, and add them to the screen.

Let the user click on the items to buy them.

Make a screen that looks like a shop (on paper first!).

I assume you'll want to have 'items' in your shop, so make a list. Make a graphic for each, and add them to the screen.

Let the user click on the items to buy them.

Alrighty, Now how do i make the point system?

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement