• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

finch

Do companies use GL?

This topic is 6028 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Can anyone tell me, before I spend too much of my time working with OpenGL, how many of the major console and computer game makers use it vs. DirectX? I plan on learning both, but I''d like to know which gives me better prospects for employment so I know how to spend my time.

Advertisement
quote:
Original post by Null and Void
Who cares what API you''re using anyway? Just pick one .

True, true

Judging by what I see on Co-op job postings, game companies are more interested in your overall knowledge of 3d graphics and linear algebra than any specific API.

Finch ...

The API you program with is almost irrelevant now - the fundamentals behind them are identical. If you learn about 3D graphics, the maths behind it, and the practical application of your knowledge, you're more than half way there. There are so many posts every month about D3D vs OpenGL, it gets boring - choose whichever you are happiest with. Like I said - If you understand the basics, you can switch between the API quite easily.

Edited by - Shag on November 18, 2001 11:54:20 PM

loki went out of business a few months ago.
as far as games employment goes, the gamecube uses a version of opengl.

I''m currently taking the DirectX root at the moment but for my current project I am using Quake 3 level files which are made with OGL in mind and there for all the reference for them that I have are OGL based.

This means that even though I am trying to learn D3D I am ending up learning OGL as well without even meaning to...I get the best of both worlds

There''s also OpenGL available on PS2, written by UBISoft.

XBox may be the only one not to support it since M$ hates competition.

You can go to www.opengl.org to see a list of games (not firm) using OpenGL.

As said earlier, if you know and understand the maths behind 3D, you shouldn''t have problems at all.

-* So many things to do, so little time to spend. *-

This topic is 6028 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.