Do companies use GL?

Started by
35 comments, last by finch 22 years, 4 months ago
quote:
I plan on learning both, but I''d like to know which gives me better prospects for employment so I know how to spend my time.

Knowing both gives the best prospects - knowing OpenGL gives you more industry options, as was mentioned OGL is used far more in non-gaming applications than Dx is.

There are military contracts in progress now that use Windows and DirectX. The ones I know about are experitmental, at the current time, and are not cleared for full-development. But the military is considering Windows (a NT derivative) for simulations and WinCE for embedded applications for future projects (GPS systems in tanks for instance). And if all goes well in the initial stages I''ll have a job working on one of the projects&ltcrosses-fingers&gt.

quote:
WarCraft wasn''t that great either

What are you talking about!? It was - no still IS a great game. It one of the few RTSs that are actually _balenced. It is the yard-stick by which other RTSs are measured!

Magmai Kai Holmlor
- Not For Rent
- The trade-off between price and quality does not exist in Japan. Rather, the idea that high quality brings on cost reduction is widely accepted.-- Tajima & Matsubara
Advertisement
quote:Original post by Null and Void

Direct X has many more features.

I'd like you to prove that before you claim it.

I think he's refering to the fact that DX includes sound, music, networking, input, graphics, etc.. whilst OGL includes graphics, graphics, and well, graphics.

Edited by - Maximus on November 23, 2001 9:40:00 PM
-----------------------"When I have a problem on an Nvidia, I assume that it is my fault. With anyone else's drivers, I assume it is their fault" - John Carmack
No matter how much Microsoft may try, OpenGL won''t go away anytime soon. As pointed out earlier, there are plenty of companies developing Windows software that use it (often exclusively)--and, of course, a lot of those companies produce engines that are used in many more games. Also, as noted before, Direct3D and OpenGL do the same basic thing and have a very similar feel by now. OpenGL was always the way it is, essentially, and Direct3D has--perhaps by coincidence (though I''d argue not)--evolved toward OpenGL. So, which should you learn? Both, if possible, since they''re so similar. Otherwise, learn whichever you think is cooler. Or, decide on principle. As John Carmack once said, "there''s no good technical reason for the existence of Direct3D," and Microsoft inarguably has used its muscle to push an API that provides functionality that already existed. Of course, Carmack has now come to the point of saying essentially what we have: that both APIs are pretty much on the same level now. But the principle still can''t be ignored--OpenGL had always been there to provide 3D graphics, and could easily have been connected with DirectDraw. But, no, Microsoft just loves to wipe out competition, and can do it based on non-technical merits due to their size and economic standing. OpenGL will not go away, though. On non-Windows platforms, it reigns supreme--as it should. And it is about to evolve to become an even simpler and more abstracted API due mainly to 3Dlabs''s evangelism and enthusiasm. So, OpenGL can only get better, and its direction is controlled by an independent group, rather than just one corporation bent on ruling the PC industry. So, you decide. But I rest easier supporting an API that exists for the right reasons (technical ones), rather than for political and economic ones.
quote:Original post by Maximus
I think he''s refering to the fact that DX includes sound, music, networking, input, graphics, etc...

Ok, on those grounds I could see what he meant .

[Resist Windows XP''s Invasive Production Activation Technology!]
Like my opinion matters, but here we go.

This thread has obviously became another thread about DirectX vs. OpenGL.

Now, I have sufficient experience in both Ogl and Dx, and let me tell you that I don''t drink as much when coding with Ogl.

FROM THE PROGRAMMERS P.O.V:
OpenGL is nice, short, clean, and to the point. DirectX is ugly, messy, hard to remember, and clunky. OpenGL should be used because it is clean and programmer-friendly.

FROM THE PROGRAMS P.O.V:
DirectX has support for sound, networking, and a few others. DirectX should be used because it is more useful.

So I propose this: Why don''t you use what you want? Its obvious that these threads go on and on and on and on, and its always the same thing: People get pissed at one another, scream at anonymous posters, and walk away generally mad with sore fingers from typing. Please, stop!

If you want to program in windows, more power to DirectX. If you want to program a descent game that you might want to play networked or something with a Windows Interface, then by all means, play with DirectX if you want.

If you want to run on Linux, or if you want a more easy-to-follow, programmer-friendly API, then choose Ogl.

Personally, I choose OpenGL. Its much more easy to follow, cleaner, easier to organize, less buggy, and looks great on-screen. It''s layout and general idea behind its structure is more than amazing.

Also, new programmers tend to learn OpenGL first, dominantly due to the fact that OpenGL with GLUT is really, really easy. So thinking about that, OpenGL will logically end up as the more dominant API, but then those who are more seasoned will eventually pick up a windows programming book and learn some directX.

Personally, D3D sucks compared to OpenGL. DirectX cannot possibly suck completely just because of D3D though; Its good points are DirectSound and DirectInput.

So in conclusion I would like to say that this will never end. We all know that. It''s more of a religious battle than anything else. Those of us who don''t like to be forced to learn the evil ways of Micro$oft will say "OpenGL!", and those of you who like DirectX will say "directX!".

If your wondering and haven''t figured it out yet, I like OpenGL just as much as DirectX. Why? Well, I hate D3D, but use DirectInput and DirectSound, so it balances out.

Remember guys, in the end of all this arguing and bullshit opinions, the fact of the matter remains: We are programmers. We are friends. We need to stick together. =)

Your friend,
Jesse Lawson
WarCraft:

It''s better than Diablo 2. Thats not an accomplishment.

Ketchup:

It only tastes good on certain things. NOT EGGS!

Null and Void:

I said Direct X not Direct3D. Like I said, I prefer OpenGL, but DirectX has sound, input, graphics, etc. I was telling him that he couldn''t compare DirectX to OpenGL because OpenGL doesn''t include sound, input and multiplayer capabilities. He COULD compare DirectX to OpenGL+WinSoc+SDL. But he didn''t.

If I said my opinion... there would be a flame war. So I will refrain from telling you all that DirectX blows and OpenGL is better, o.k?

Artificial intelligence is the devil... resist intelligent NPC''s

"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster... when you gaze long into the abyss, the abyss also gazes into you..."~Friedrich Nietzsche
------------------------------Put THAT in your smoke and pipe it
Ok, this was a good discussion at first, but it''s good content evaporated into yet another DX vs. GL war. Sorry kiddos, I''m putting this baby in Al Gore''s "Lockbox."

------------------------------
Trent (ShiningKnight)
E-mail me
ShiningKnight Games

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement