• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

An online competition for AI programmers in the MMO game genre

This topic is 774 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Didn't you think the last time you played your favorite online game that it would be cool to automate it somehow? Be honest: you did. Because it makes lots of sense: why waste precious time making routine actions that any bot could perform equally well? Why should you manually enter the game daily just to get a reward if a script could do this for you? No more wasting time on dumb movements even a child can do. We, grown-ups and programmers, can do much better.

So this is a MMO RTS game which not only allows scripting, but moreover, it's a game wholly about scripts!  

In Screeps, each player writes an actual AI in JavaScript (or another language using transpilers) which controls the play. By managing resources, base, and units, you fight for dominance in the gaming space inside a single, huge, persistent real-time universe. However, instead of traditional manual point'n'clicking, you build a bunch of scripts which controls everything without your direct interference. Your units continue living their lives even as you are offline.

Units, base, mining resources, territory control, economy, manufacturing, transporting, logistics, trading – all the attributes of a real strategy game which you need to program on par with other players.

The link: http://www.screeps.com

units2.png

world.png

script.png

bodyparts.png

room3.png

What do you guys think about this idea?

Advertisement

What do you guys think about this idea?

I played the beta a while back, took over a few sectors, and conquered some newbies who just had the tutorial scripts running. Overall it was a pretty cool game, but I don't have the time to worry about what's going on ingame since it runs 24/7.

The idea of open sourcing the engine is pretty awesome though, I'd love to see people create game modes with small maps/limited time frames. Like a 2 day weekend conquest.

That is a brilliant idea. I used to play Ultima Online many years ago and loved automating that through scripting (it's what got me into programming).

The idea of open sourcing the engine is pretty awesome though, I'd love to see people create game modes with small maps/limited time frames. Like a 2 day weekend conquest.

Exactly! You will be able to even create new game objects with its own unique graphics, and make some quests or AI puzzles for other players. 

That is a brilliant idea. I used to play Ultima Online many years ago and loved automating that through scripting (it's what got me into programming).

Yeah, I can remember that too. UOPilot and Injection were my favourite.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement