• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

supagu

directx or GL?

This topic is 6232 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

i know its i big argue ment around the place, but i gonna teach my self directx or GL, but what are the cons and pro''s? these are the 1''s i can think of, if ene 1 else has ene ideas cons/pros, please post em here 4 me so i can decide on what to learn... directx ------------- seems more complex coding or harder to read the code, does all the matrix stuffs for you, like rotations transformations etc... can be used to get inputs and do network code (not just d3d) not as powerful as GL openGL ------------- simpler to understand, but you have to do all the matrix maths your self, need other methods to get inputs and do network sounds etc... more powerfull that sound right? ene otheres plz post

Advertisement
For the record, there are about a million posts like this, and it may not last very long--I''d suggest combing through the archived posts. For my $0.02, I''d say go with DX... I''m prejudiced against GL because I haven''t been able to make it work right on my system.

Guest Anonymous Poster
Id say directX is the way to go, the portablity doesnt mean that much. Most people run windows and play on windows. "Most" people who run linux from my experience arent that interested in games, bacause linux is traditionally thought to be for the computer "nerd/hacker". But hey if that is important to you then you need to go with OpenGL, otherwise it seems the market is shifting in favor of DirectX.

It''s personal preference.

If you''re worried about input, etc. you can use SDL with OpenGL.

I wanna'' ride on the pope mobile.

Close this thread and replace it with a link to any of the others. You do realize that the more of these we have, the more we clog GameDev''s servers with useless rehashed garbage? (especially since GameDev never deletes threads). Show some consideration.

Hey, maybe GameDev should start deleting recurrent threads, condensing them to statsheet-like info pages...

Go to nehe, if the samples run smooth on your system, then i would say go with gl.

The main advantage IMO of DX over OpenGL is the much better documentation.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!