• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Logitech12

Porting PS2 games to PC?

This topic is 1011 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

If you obtained the rights to a popular ps2 game to port on pc, how would you estimate/organize the development process? 
How  would you estimate the time table without seeing source code?  

Thanks,

Advertisement

You'd get the source code tongue.png

Assume that all major game engine features need to be rewritten from scratch. If you've got some senior staff around, you'd ask them for estimates for how long they'd need to recreate a renderer/physics/etc system capable of supporting everything that this game does. Note that the accuracy of your domain-expert's estimates will depend on whether you have the code, and on how in-depth they've analysed the game's behaviors...

Basically, build a worst-case by reverse engineering a design document out of the game, and then building a timetable for building that game from scratch.

Estimates are also dependent on specific people -- if person A makes the estimate, it might be correct for them, but incorrect for person B. So, you've got to have hired your key staff before building out an accurate timeline too.

I would only get the source code upon full completion of licensing agreement. However, how can you calculate your dev cost/ estimates without it? 

I guess only based on your estimates. Essentially, the business people would be flying blind.  

I'm assuming ports are rather difficult

Edited by Logitech12

Surely you can have someone with PC/PS2 dev experience take a look at it during the negotiations and give an estimate?

You'd get the source code :P

Assume that all major game engine features need to be rewritten from scratch. If you've got some senior staff around, you'd ask them for estimates for how long they'd need to recreate a renderer/physics/etc system capable of supporting everything that this game does. Note that the accuracy of your domain-expert's estimates will depend on whether you have the code, and on how in-depth they've analysed the game's behaviors...

Basically, build a worst-case by reverse engineering a design document out of the game, and then building a timetable for building that game from scratch.

Estimates are also dependent on specific people -- if person A makes the estimate, it might be correct for them, but incorrect for person B. So, you've got to have hired your key staff before building out an accurate timeline too.

I would only get the source code upon full completion of licensing agreement. However, how can you calculate your dev cost/ estimates without it? 
I guess only based on your estimates. Essentially, the business people would be flying blind.  

I'm assuming ports are rather difficult

You don't need the source code to make a reverse engineered design document/ GDD

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!