• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Is Programming an RTS Game still good?

This topic is 753 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I've recently studied a bit of OpenGL and DirectX and I now want to develop something.

That book (Programming an RTS Game with Direct3D) has good reviews and an RTS would be so nice to build

It's 10 years old, so I would have to update codes and use D3D11/GL3.3 at least, but is it worth?

Edited by Josh Petrie
Removed file links.

Advertisement

I've recently studied a bit of OpenGL and DirectX and I now want to develop something.
That book (Programming an RTS Game with Direct3D) has good reviews and an RTS would be so nice to build
It's 10 years old, so I would have to update codes and use D3D11/GL3.3 at least, but is it worth?

That's a very unspecific, generic question. Sure it's worth it if you think it is. If you're looking to just get experience developing a game then yes it's worth it. If your sole purpose is to develop the next big-RTS, you'll need to have a solid plan with an idea on what would separate your RTS from every other RTS. If you don't have this plan and if you don't think that your RTS will be the next big thing, then maybe it wouldn't be worth it. On top of that you'll need to decide whether or not you have the knowledge to develop such a game. You need to determine what your purpose is to develop the game and from there you can determine whether it will be worth it.

That being said, trying to update it to DirectX 11 is not a trivial endeavor. It makes use of a lot of the D3DX stuff that no longer exists or has no direct analog in D3D11, which can be problematic, particularly for the model animation.

...and older versions of DirectX in fact work just fine on newer versions of Windows. Going through the effort of updating old code to work with the newest version of DirectX may not be worth the effort, and being able to work on Windows XP (which IS still commonly used, almost as common as Windows 10) might be a good reason not to.
And if you're going to go through the effort of updating the code to DirectX11, you might as well just work with DirectX 12 instead, since low level GPU programming seems to be the future of 3D graphics.

Only thing you have to worry about with old books is faded text. Any book that teaches you something is always worth reading and working out of. The only time I would recommend being picky is for a book trying to teach a language, otherwise books, both good and bad, can teach you something about game development.

So do I buy it or not? 

This question is too short, I understand, but if I buy it then I wanna write some code and that promised game. But if you say "don't update the code with newer APIs", what's left?

Left would be just the design; I could instead buy a game design book and code everything from scratch 

No way I can have any chance to have a quick look at it; it seems only ericrrichards22 has a copy of it of all the above posters

You don't have any used bookstores nearby? When they carry technical books, they all tend to be rather old, so you may be able to stumble on a copy there.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement