• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Subalee

Pacman using Java Swing, how to go about painting my tilemap?

This topic is 933 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey everyone!

We've been assign voluntary task of creating pac man at school.

So far I've been able to get myself quite far with only a little bit of googling (Had to look up stuff about tilemaps, while i was thinking in terms of 2d array I sort of wasn't able to collect my thoughts well enough)

So far what I have:

• Tilemap made of walls and paths
  • Yellow circle representing pacman - collision works 
  • 4 red dots representhing the ghosts which currently move randomly, step over each other, though i got the collison to work

• I still plan on including the dots that are eaten by pacman
  • Improve the AI so that it will atleast attempt to follow the player (not really sure if my idea will work 100%)
  • sound FX

What I'm currently totally at loss is texturizing the tiles. My tiles are 20x20 pixels so i guess the texture for invidual tiles would also have to be this size. However I'm not very experienced with Java and I have no idea how would I implement texturing in swing, i guess I'll need to use Graphics  2d (currently using just the graphics library)

So if you could point me in the right direction that'd be great!

Thanks!

I also attach the prototype I have so far.

Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!