• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

For beginners

This topic is 762 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello everyone. I am new to this forums and new to game programming. I want to program my own games but the problem is that i dont know where to start, what to read to be able to program games. If anyone of you could give me names of some books or some tutorials , i would highly appreciate it.

Thank you

Advertisement

Thanks for reply.

What kind of games do you want to create?

You should start small. Begin with simple games no more complex than pong or tetris and build up bit by bit to more complex projects.

You Can find many links to Tutorials here on the forum in the FAQ and pinned topics, failing that if you search Google or YouTube for game development tutorials for beginners you'll come across lots of material none of which has to be paid for.

Just to add to this, this is a rather helpful article to read for getting your path laid out. http://www.gamedev.net/page/resources/_/technical/game-programming/your-first-step-to-game-development-starts-here-r2976

thanks for the link. I am now using alegro game development library and trying to undrstand it using the tutorials on youtube :)

Good luck!

I was thinking same of making the simplest games like worm game etc. 

the problem I am facing now is idk anything about allegro. can anyone guide me where do i start??

Welcome to the forum first of all, I hope you find your stay here.

There are few ready-made game engines you can fiddle with, two of which you can get the tutorials for, easily and on their very website.

For example:

Unity 3d, has a learning section for beginners as well as the documentation. You do have to familiar yourself with C#.

GameMaker, has a learning section (I believe) for beginners as well as few books on packt publishing that are worth reading.

For starters:

Familiarize yourself with atleast one known programming language that has a common layout with the rest of the programming languages, so you can understand any programming language it is written to.

Alot of indie game developers take path to use ready-made game engines because many of them, start alone, and consider it a learning curve.

Once you are comfy with it, look in to AI programming which comes handy for game development.

If you are looking for games that are made in such ready-made engines;

Game Maker

-Risk of Rain ( developers' documentation claims that it is by far the easiest way to make game,)

Unity3d

-Ori and the Blind Forest (developers' documentation claims that it is a bit challenging but they were able to make the game without having a proper sit down with each other...sort of.)

Good luck

Edited by Nitewalkr

That depends if you want to use a game engine or not, and what language you choose.

what do i need to learn? programming of win32 applications or console programming?
If you don't know programming, you probably better start with console programming. Understanding how a program works, and how to make one is sufficiently complicated not to bother with APIs that you cannot understand or use due to not being able to program.

win32 doesn't go anywhere, it will still be there in a few months.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement