Incorperating Point & Click Mechanics In A Visual Novel

Started by
3 comments, last by Norman Barrows 8 years, 1 month ago

Me and 2 others have started a game development studio called WorldCore Studios. We're currently working on a 3d visual novel/point & click. Does any one have any advice on how to catch consumers eyes? We just reached the stage of being able to show the public some decently polished game play. Here is a 1 minute video(Alpha Build) which goes over some of the features that makes our VN standout in my opinion. I'd also be interested if you think classic point and click can be integrated with visual and still attract fans of both genre.

Advertisement

Does any one have any advice on how to catch consumers eyes?

That's a marketing question, right? Marketing is a business topic, so please post that question in the Business/Law forum, not Game Design.
Edit: actually, I see that you already have this question in Business/Law (and that I moved it there last Friday after you asked for marketing advice in some non-Business forum).

I'd also be interested if you think classic point and click can be integrated with visual and still attract fans of both genre.

What two genres are you talking about? Visual novel and what else? In what way do you perceive a problem either way?

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Does any one have any advice on how to catch consumers eyes?

impressive you tube videos

I'd also be interested if you think classic point and click can be integrated with visual and still attract fans of both genre.

i too don't understand this question. in my mind "interactive visual novels" and anything 2d or 3d about exploring scenes and uncovering story are variations on the same gametype. so i lump stuff like Myst, Monkey island, grim fandango, Silent Hill 1, etc all together. IE exploring rich environments, uncovering story, and little or no combat, or the emphasis on story over combat. in-game puzzles are optional.

Norm Barrows

Rockland Software Productions

"Building PC games since 1989"

rocklandsoftware.net

PLAY CAVEMAN NOW!

http://rocklandsoftware.net/beta.php

Okay, I finally see that Brian is thinking that "point and click" is a genre. It isn't. It's a user interface method. A point-and-click adventure game is "an adventure game." A point-and-click interactive visual novel is "an interactive visual novel." There are surely other ways a visual novel could be interactive, but so what? It's still an interactive visual novel.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Okay, I finally see that Brian is thinking that "point and click" is a genre. It isn't. It's a user interface method. A point-and-click adventure game is "an adventure game." A point-and-click interactive visual novel is "an interactive visual novel." There are surely other ways a visual novel could be interactive, but so what? It's still an interactive visual novel.

so then the question would become:

"can classic adventure game gameplay be integrated with interactive visual novels and still attract fans of both genres?"

i'd say most certainly. the former tends to emphasize gameplay aspects while the latter focuses more on story, but story is usually a big part of adventure games. i see no reason why a happy middle ground hybrid of the two can't be found.

Norm Barrows

Rockland Software Productions

"Building PC games since 1989"

rocklandsoftware.net

PLAY CAVEMAN NOW!

http://rocklandsoftware.net/beta.php

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement