• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Anylix

Need help with beginning C# programming

This topic is 956 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello.

My name is John and I'm a 8th grader who is willing to do what is needed to learn code. I want to learn C# specifically and I have basically no experience whatsoever. Please help me as I need some tips and some help at finding good free guides and resources to learn C# specifically for game development.

What I want to be able do is make a simple  2D platform game. I then want to learn and become a master in a couple years or less, then maybe move onto different languages. I am focusing on mobile (android) and pc development, and then maybe a cross-platform game later on.

I have unity, visual studio 2015, and xamarin studio installed on my computer, and I also want to know if there is any engine I should use. I really want to use the time I have now and learn it early before i lose my extra time. Summary: I need guides, resources (Books, online guides), tips, suggestions on how I should go about learning, and what engines I should use. I really can afford too much, but if there is any book out there that is definitely worth buying, please let me know.

Advertisement
If you want to learn C# I suggest that you take a trip to msdn(The Microsoft Developer Network) there are lots of examples there. I would also suggest that you read the language reference.

On Microsoft virtual Academy there is a course called something like c# fundamentals for beginners.

It's smart to first learn the language and then move on to game development.

Sorry for all the Microsoft commercial.

I think you should start wachting some c# tutorials, there are some tutorials on youtube, practise a lot, try to make little things, u can use unity to make 2d games using c#.

unity is free and has a build in code editor (but i use Visual Studio). 

You should practise a lot. try to make little projects. and tell about your code. Tell to yourself what you just did, and how it works.

just a quick google search and you will find a lot's of c# tutorials.

Since you have Unity installed you should probably start out with that. The Unity site has a huge number of tutorials and videos, so just jump in and start playing with whatever interests you.

Unity integrates with VS 2015 now (I think by default), so you should be able to get a little familiarity with that as well.

You will not master C# in a couple of years or less, becoming really good with code takes a lifetime but it is a worthwhile and fun journey if your mind is able to play in the spaces required. You will need to make a mountain of mistakes and learn from them to see what works well and what does not :)

Start small and tinker, just start with small programs that do not really do anything but let you see how code flows and data moves until you get more of a feel for it. All of us use google to get pointers, no matter how long we have sat at the code face, but here is a small piece of invaluable knowledge...

If you do search for answers make sure you do not just copy/paste the code. Learn what it does and how it works. I have met so many copy/paste programmers but I do not even like to call them programmers as many can't actually code if you take google away from them. 

Unity is not really a "standard" OO use of C# due to the way it uses fields instead of properties and its heavy use of reflection to get duck type like operations on objects. It's not that its bad, just not standard practice for the language. That said C# is no longer really just an OO language so what is standard is up for debate and constantly shifting lol

VS is a great IDE. If you are still a student and you are learning programming there you might be able to get a free ReSharper licence (https://www.jetbrains.com/student/) This is one of the best tools for C# there is. It plugs into VS and highlights mistakes as you type along with potential runtime issues. It will also look at your code and offer better ways to write it and also do the rewrite for you. It has a whole raft of other features. It taught me lots about C# and improved my knowledge of the language no end, even after using C# for many years before I got this tool

Here are some books and tutorials that I have used to learn C# and Monogame. 

rbwitaker has a great website with lots of tutorials. I would strongly suggest getting his book on c# if you can.

http://rbwhitaker.wikidot.com/start  

Apress has alot of good books on C# and some good ones on Monogame and Unity as well.

https://www.apress.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=C%23&submit=Go

This is the first video I watched on C# and its pretty good.

This is Jamie McMahon's Xna rpg tutorial its a little old but its still really good and practical

http://xnagpa.net/xna4rpg.php

Other things I would recommend is Unity's tutorial site,Youtube in general and lots of determination.

Good Luck! 

I rarely program in C#, and usually when I do, I just fall back on my knowledge of C++. Fortunately the languages are pretty similar and the knowledge carries over well, but I probably am not the right guy to get you started with C#.

I then want to learn and become a master in a couple years or less

Won't happen. You can become intimately familiar with the language in a couple years, sure. The current standard API, sure. The current version of Managed DirectX, sure. But unless you keep doing the same exact task in the same exact way for the rest of your potential programming career, you'll always find something new you have to learn, a new problem you have to actually think about the best way to solve, a better way to do something you thought you were already doing as perfectly as possible. That's the joy - and sometimes, pain - of being a programmer.
Just manage your expectations, basically.

Thanks so much for the help guys! I realize I can't master it in a couple years, but at least be pretty good at it. Thanks for everything again and I'll start learning as much as I can!

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!