Starting a new Indie Company

Started by
4 comments, last by conquestor3 8 years, 1 month ago

Hello,

I'm Jake and I'm a second year student studying Computer Games Technology in the UK.

I have a huge interest in creating my own Indie based company or I hope to get into the industry doing something in relation to 3D modelling but was hoping for help on this forum.

My first question is to those currently in the industry or those who have experience with Indie companies, what would your advice be for a beginner trying to create their own Indie company?

What sort of things do I need to prepare myself for?

Are there any tips you would suggest that would have maybe benefited yourself knowing this when you were first beginning?

Any tips in general about starting my own Indie company?

What sort of things can I do to stand out from other Indie companies?

Thank you for your time, I really appreciate it!

All the best,

Jake K.

Advertisement

Before you spend time trying to set up a company, spend time creating a game that you want to release. Do you have any games produced yet, or at least playable?

Trying to set up the company first is kind of like building the top floor of the skyscraper first, it simply does not work. You need to have games that people will want to buy, to be able to guarantee you're going to get some sales, as creating and running a company costs money.

Also never ever bet the house, don't go quitting your day job to start an indie company at this point - make sure you always have money to fall back on!

Good luck!

Jake, forming a company is not a production/management question. This is a BUSINESS question. Moving this to Business/Law.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Create a game first (or at least a fully featured demo) then worry about creating a company.

1. what would your advice be for a beginner trying to create their own Indie company?
2. What sort of things do I need to prepare myself for?
3. Any tips in general about starting my own Indie company?
4. What sort of things can I do to stand out from other Indie companies?

1. Read this forum's FAQ, and read my article "so you want to create your own indie company," at http://www.sloperama.com/advice/lesson29.htm
2. Everything. Financial problems, personnel problems, legal problems. Above all, prepare for the high probability of failure.
3. You said you're studying Computer Games Technology. I think you should go for a Masters in Business Administration after you complete your current degree program.
4. Do something insane. Become infamous for uber-crunching your people, resulting in mass divorces and bomb threats. People will know your name. Or just take some marketing classes instead.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Become infamous for uber-crunching your people, resulting in mass divorces and bomb threats.

Why not cut out the middle man? :P

There are people who make businesses as a hobby, and people who make businesses for work.

You shouldn't worry about making a business for game development, because it will just add more impediments on your road to having something playable.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement