1 hr of Voice Acting translates into how much hrs of Voice Actor work?

Started by
16 comments, last by CCH Audio 8 years, 1 month ago

Is the trailer out yet, i would like to listen to it :-)

Advertisement

Unfortunately on the best take the mic picked up the sound of my friend closing the bathroom door in the background, but that's life.

iZotope RX is an amazing tool for removing aberrant sounds as well as cleaning up voice-over. You can use it to kill room tone, reverb, clicks, mouth noise, rumbles, and any aberrant noise (like a door closing). For anything recorded on location or outside a well built studio I can't recommend it enough. Even with stuff in the studio I still use the 'dialogue de-noiser' to just smooth out a VO. The basic pack is amazing and really cheap.

Yes, another plug for RX. I use it often when recording all kind of sources. Very useful and can really help rescue bad audio.

Nathan Madsen
Nate (AT) MadsenStudios (DOT) Com
Composer-Sound Designer
Madsen Studios
Austin, TX

The trailer is being remade, but the audio is here.

https://soundcloud.com/user-478822955/necromancer-the-fight-for-life-trailer

You can hear the door close about three seconds in. If anyone would be willing to try to remove it I would be very grateful.

The words are here-

For generations the world of Nevera has been a dark and shattered place. Long ago, a great number of wizards, magicians and sorcerers, discovered powers over life and death.

Consuming and corrupting, the use of these abilities devastated the land, and those who wielded them were called, necromancers.

Many used these powers to seek tyranny, destruction and immortality, by the most terrible means. Horrendous wars were fought, alliances forged, and territories claimed, irreparably misshaping the world.

Now, hordes of undead roam the land like wild beasts, and more necromancers than ever pursue even greater power.

One of the last small places in the world which retains some sense of serenity will suffer a calamity, and give rise to one who will alter all Nevera, and life itself.

Got_Rhythm

Nice but

The trailer is being remade, but the audio is here.

https://soundcloud.com/user-478822955/necromancer-the-fight-for-life-trailer

You can hear the door close about three seconds in. If anyone would be willing to try to remove it I would be very grateful.

The words are here-

For generations the world of Nevera has been a dark and shattered place. Long ago, a great number of wizards, magicians and sorcerers, discovered powers over life and death.

Consuming and corrupting, the use of these abilities devastated the land, and those who wielded them were called, necromancers.

Many used these powers to seek tyranny, destruction and immortality, by the most terrible means. Horrendous wars were fought, alliances forged, and territories claimed, irreparably misshaping the world.

Now, hordes of undead roam the land like wild beasts, and more necromancers than ever pursue even greater power.

One of the last small places in the world which retains some sense of serenity will suffer a calamity, and give rise to one who will alter all Nevera, and life itself.

Nice but 300 USD seems a lot for just this.

Maybe try removing it yourself... maybe even audacity has some functions that might help with this?

Nice but 300 USD seems a lot for just this.

The artist spent two hours on it (one hour at a meeting, one hour recording). Let's say there was another 30 minutes of travel, prep and miscellaneous time devoted to the job from the artist (which is maybe being generous). That works out to about $120 per hour as a wage. While this might seem high -- the average salaried game programmer makes about $40/hour if you break down the time similarly (assuming an $80k salary and no crunch, hah) -- you have to remember that voice actors aren't usually salaried, they're only paid when they work, and they may need to be paying for their own benefits (health insurance et cetera) out of that money, which means their rates should be looked at more like contractor rates, which are typically higher to offset the lack of stability and subsidization via one's employer. So, $120/hour doesn't seem that bad at all.
In fact, I'd say Got_Rythem probably got a deal here. SAG rates are (for the most part) session fees and start at something like (if I recall correctly) $600 or so per session (a four-hour block of recording time). That's $150/hour, which is more expensive. Granted, in that recording time one can get up to three different "voices" from an actor (additional voices are $200 or so), which could have brought the effective cost down assuming more voice work was ultimately needed, but still. I think there's also an hourly $400/hour rate as well, but I'm fuzzy on the details.
Good art -- and voice work is an art form -- costs money.
Yeah I also live in San Francisco where everything is five times the cost :)

In fact, I'd say Got_Rythem probably got a deal here. SAG rates are (for the most part) session fees and start at something like (if I recall correctly) $600 or so per session (a four-hour block of recording time). That's $150/hour, which is more expensive. Granted, in that recording time one can get up to three different "voices" from an actor (additional voices are $200 or so), which could have brought the effective cost down assuming more voice work was ultimately needed, but still. I think there's also an hourly $400/hour rate as well, but I'm fuzzy on the details.

Yeah agreed that's a pretty good deal. It would be on the AFTRA side of the contracts, even though it's technically SAG-AFTRA now. It's a little under scale, but you can also do voice work like this under the ultra-low budget contract which falls more in the $60/hr range.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement