• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Game Development Resources

This topic is 970 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello.First of all I am just beginner and I know nothing.So I want you to be polite when I don't understand anything that you said.So,let's focus on main question.

How can I develop a game?

I need some tips.Useful resources,websites.For instance,can you give link to website which contains any kind of sound (man dying scream,ak-47 sound) or can you give me link to get any kind of 3D models for my game development?

Other than that,I shall need some of your suggestions too.Game Engines etc.Feel free to recommend and judge.But in polite way.Safety and peace.

Advertisement

Obligatory link :)  http://www.gamedev.net/page/resources/_/technical/game-programming/your-first-step-to-game-development-starts-here-r2976

As for sounds and pretty pictures, there is a visual arts forum, with pinned lists of resources. We also have a sound forum. Never been there, but I assume they also have a list like that.

Can you tell a little bit about programming experience that you might have, and/or plans? That gives a bit of direction to the discussion.

Assuming you want to make a 3d FPS-ish game, I think C# and Unity would be useful. The other major one is Unreal, but you need C++ for that, which is not recommended as first language.

If you really don't know anything, then likely, even a game engine is too much. You may like to get your feet wet with Python first instead, very light-weight and easy to program language. It's not a fancy as 3D FPS games, but a big enough challenge.

I'd like to add to what Alberth said and just suggest that, depending on what type of game that you're looking to make, there can be other, easier & faster, options. Programs like GameMaker Studio, RPG Maker, and Construct are all tools to help people make the games that they want to make. Sometimes they're the right tool for the job and sometimes they need to be extended (I think all three of those can be used with some scripting language or another) but might be a good starting place for you to build your game.

Best of luck on your game-developing adventures.

You should decide what game engine you want to use.I mean a game engine like Construct or like Unreal Engine or Unity3d.

If you don't want to use game engine like these and if you want to create a game and to write everything, then you can try frameworks or try to build

your own framework.There are some good frameworks for an example: SDL, SFML, Alegro. They aren't bad.They use C++.SFML supports other languages too! smile.png

If you want to build a framework then you can try OpenGL or DirectX.

Edited by sn0k3

Hi,

To get started, you may look into just using drag'n'drop features, just to understand how things work in general, and then see how adding coding helps you to customize and improve your game.

I think using a game engine may be a good start; however, some of them, because they include so many options can be a bit intimidating.

Game Maker is a good start; Unity is great, but can be intimidating at the start too.

For the first one, you can create a game with no prior coding experience, and you get to use programming structures (loops, variables, etc) just with drag and drop (no coding); so it may be a good start. After that, if you'd like to create some 3D content, you could start with Unity and a bit of Javascript, and possibly then move to C#.

To get started with game Maker, you may try this link (simple tut create pacman game):

To get started with Unity, there is a free book here that gets you started with the interface (no programming); You can then look at other books then to get you into programming after being comfortable with the interface here, for example).

There are of course plenty of official tutorials from Unity that you can also look at here.

if you are looking for resources, both Game Maker and Unity give access to plenty of assets. For Game Maker, you may look into their forums; for Unity, there is the Assets store, where you can find free models and other  assets that you can then use in your game.

As you start with game engines, the most important thing in my view, is to set yourself some goals, even small, try to create a small game, and then try to add features as you go along, and challenge yourself. You may use existing assets at the start, and, if you feel up to it, create your own then.

Hope this helps,

- Pat

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!