Authenticating users

Started by
27 comments, last by Sergey Ignatchenko 8 years ago

Do you have a link for the DTLS support in OpenSSL? I have not been able to find much on that when googling :/

That's why I called DTLS a "can of worms". OpenSSL has supported it since about 2005, but there's no real documentation or examples. Your best bet would probably be to read the DTS specification, assuming you already have a background in regular TLS...

Using SSL for communicating with the server seems like a large amount of overhead once the client is authenticated... Is there a performance overhead by sending every packet through SSL?

Most of the overhead is involved in establishing the connection. Overhead once the connection is established is pretty minimal - enough so that it's unlikely to be a bottleneck in this day and age.

When the client is authenticated, as long as I map the PlayerId from my database with the IP that the user is authenticated with, can I send any non-sensitive data (like location updates and chat messages) over as plain text to the authenticated IP?

I assume you mean the IP + port #, since IP alone isn't sufficient to identify a client behind a NAT gateway. And yes, if you aren't worried about wire tampering, that's a fine way to go. But the initial authentication every time they connect needs to be secure.

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

Advertisement

If I remember correctly, what you want to do is a Diffie-Hellman key exchange to set up a key pair, then use that to exchange a symmetric, randomly generated session key (for AES, AES-256, or similar,) then send a random nonce/IV at the head of each packet.

Don't forget to check server certificate on the client-side (against CA root embedded into client); without certificate check it will be akin to so-called Anonymous Diffie-Hellman (or a reasonable facsimile), which is a Big No-No due to MITM attacks (and as a rule of thumb, you don't want to have MITM against your game, not only because it is Really Insecure, but also because it easily enables all kinds of proxy bots). In short - to avoid MITM, you do need a certificate (to disable MITM-player-mounts-against-himself attack, the one which enables bots, there are a few further tricks, but this is a significantly longer story going beyond classical security and laden with obscurity trickery, so I will elaborate only if there are people here interested in it).

(DTLS seems to just use sequence number, which seems less secure than a strong random per PDU)

FWIW: IIRC, current understanding is that sequence numbers are just as secure as strong randoms (using sequence numbers is akin to implementing CTR mode over your packets, and while CTR was frowned upon for a long while exactly because of this perception, it is currently accepted is The Way To Go). I'd say that these days there is no difference in this regard for any practical purpose (and nobody knows what will happen two years down the road ;-( ).

Most of the overhead is involved in establishing the connection. Overhead once the connection is established is pretty minimal - enough so that it's unlikely to be a bottleneck in this day and age.

Yep. Basically, the only thing which is done after connection is established, is symmetric encryption (such as AES128), which is darn cheap. You can find out AES speed by running "openssl speed aes" (well, on Windows you'll need to build openssl first :-( ). For my measly laptop, it reports "Doing aes-128 cbc for 3s on 64 size blocks: 7284228 aes-128 cbc's in 2.99s" - i.e. over 2 million packets per second (that's for a single thread AFAIR). OTOH, establishing connection is a completely different matter altogether - it can go as slow as 0.1 sec/connection/core, and when you have 100000 connections disconnected and then reconnected - it can get Ugly :-(.

CTR is obviously weaker than CBC for UDP applications, because you have to include the sequence number in the packet, because packets may be dropped.

Also for most other CTR applications, it's obviously weaker as well. It's like dropping your IV or nonce from 128 bits to 96 bits, because 32 bits is known (assuming you use 32-bit sequence numbers -- remember, you shouldn't re-use the same sequence number with the same key in the same session!)

I agree that sometimes, it's just what you have to do in some cases -- but saying "it's the same strength" based only on the fact that people use it seems unwise :-)

when you have 100000 connections disconnected and then reconnected - it can get Ugly

Welcome to random system outages on the Internet :-( We have a real-time online users graph for the last 3 hours, and we've learned to ignore "steep" drops less than 1% because it's inevitably some cable modem provider in Germany having an outage, or something quite like it. We also make our clients sleep a random amount before attempting re-connect, so we can spread a reconnect storm out over about two minutes. (Unlimited exponential back-off wouldn't work for use -- users really do want a fast re-connect.) (This is with TLS, not DTLS, btw)

enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };

CTR is obviously weaker than CBC for UDP applications, because you have to include the sequence number in the packet

It depends on the attack model. If we're working under the classical attacker-controls-the-communication-channel-completely model, then I think it is not. Order of packets as they come out of the server is supposedly already known to the attacker (they're already outside of our security perimeter, and for the purposes of security analysis we should assume that attacker has no problems with monitoring communication channel all the time). Then - well, there is no additional info to be gained for the attacker from these numbers, they're just redundant for the attacker-who-controls-the-channel.

Also for most other CTR applications, it's obviously weaker as well.

Well, security community will disagree with you :-). Overall, currently CTR is generally pushed over CBC (with the reason being like "for CBC is too easy to mess up padding", which is not that a good reason if you ask me, but that's what they're saying more often than not).

OTOH, formally - being able to run in CTR mode securely is currently considered a required property of a "Good Symmetric Cypher", so modern ciphers (AES included) in CTR mode are being attacked a lot (and if/when somebody manages to succeed cracking AES-in-CTR - we'll know about it for sure, it will be very loud). That's actually the reason why DTLS is using it (and quite a few other guys are using it too; for example, most of modern AEAD algorithms - and you do want AEAD if building your own UDP-level encryption - are proven relying only on nonce to be unique - but not requiring randomness).

we've learned to ignore "steep" drops less than 1% because it's inevitably some cable modem provider in Germany having an outage, or something quite like it.

From what I've seen, Comcast going down is even worse (affecting 15-20% easily :-(( ).

This is with TLS, not DTLS, btw

For TLS, there is a rather obscure feature of "session cache"; from I've read/heard about it, it helps exactly for mass-reconnect scenario (didn't try it myself though). No idea if works for DTLS.

Order of packets as they come out of the server is supposedly already known to the attacker

Right -- my comment was when comparing CTR to CFB or similar modes, not when comparing CTR-with-plaintext-serial to CTR-with-inferred-serial.

Well, security community will disagree with you :-).

I think the security community is just happy to get something that is "strong enough" :-)

If you needed 128 bits of counter, the IV would be perfectly guessable for each block. That would be obviously bad, assuming the role of the IV being unguessable is important for security.
Now, let's say you needed 127 bits of counter, and could randomize the IV by one bit. This is ... better. But it's only an order of 2x better against brute-force known-plaintext key recovery attacks. (Which is how WiFi got cracked, for example.)
Now, extend the argument to a 32 bit counter, 96 bits random. Yes, it's better than 1 bits of random. But it's worse than 128 bits of random.
So, what the security community is really saying is "96 bits IV is actually good enough for the trade-offs that we have to make." I think this is somewhat akin to how much salt you use for a hashing function.
CTR mode effectively generates a random bitstream that is XOR-ed with the payload, so known payload means you can extract what key+IV generated, which means you can verify guesses about what the key is; the more IV is known the cheaper each guess is.
This is extra important in network protocols where the first amount of payload is very often highly known and/or predictable.
I'll happily concede the point that 96 bits IV in CTR mode is likely good enough, at least for now, and certainly for games.

Anyway, in reality, this means it's probably good enough for you and me. Just like a fiberboard front door is good enough for most people; you don't need a reinforced steel front door.

Also: Encrypt, then Mac. Just sayin'. :-)

There's a lot of acronyms here for a noob lol. What is a CTR and a CFB?

What does a sequence number act as? I was thinking that it just made up the order of datagrams if order mattered, otherwise they weren't needed. Is it just a sequential integer, or a GUID and is it used to verify the datagram in anyway? If so, how so?

I appreciate the conversation, this is really helpful stuff. A lot of googling going on in my browser :D

assuming the role of the IV being unguessable is important for security.

Wait, wait. IVs have never been intended "unguessable" (the only thing "unguessable" is the key, that's it). Even for CBC-over-TCP (the one you seem to prefer, am I right?) you normally still have IVs well-known (or randomly-generated-and-exchanged-in-open), further complications with "secret" IV are possible but are not common IIRC; moreover, any "secret" IV is pretty much useless specifically for CBC mode because of CBC peculiarity with each next IV being ?ciphertext of the previous block, so IVs for all-but-the-first-block are effectively transferred in open for CBC.

BTW, how would you avoid transferring IV in open for your-own-UDP-protocol? Even if your IV is perfectly random, it still needs to be transferred in open... Of course, you can transfer sequential and calculate IV=sequential^pre_shared_secret_IV, but honestly, I would rather simply increase key length :-) (still, this is a viable option which shouldn't make anything worse as long as pre_shared_secret_IV is independent from keys).

The question-which-has-changed-its-answer-over-20-last-years-or-so is whether IV being sequential does any Bad Things to the security, but this (since post-DES times) is considered a responsibility of a Good Cipher to deal with.

What is a CTR and a CFB?

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Block_cipher_mode_of_operation

What does a sequence number act as?

Usually, it acts as an IV (initialisation vector) for those modes listed above. My point (actually not mine, but of majority of crypto-community at the time - should be "good enough" for games ;-)) - is that IV doesn't need to be secret, and that it can even be sequential, as long as IV is 100% guaranteed to be unique for all the messages encrypted with the same key. Fine, so to encrypt UDP we can add sequence number to each packet (it needs to be there anyway for other purposes, we just need to get it out of encryption) - and encrypt the packet-except-for-sequence-number with, say, AES128 in CTR mode using sequence-number as an IV, bingo! For this to work and comply with unique-for-all requirement - we'll need to make sure that this is a session key (generated, for example, as a part of standard RSA or certificate-based-DH key exchange). As an additional measure - you MAY pre-share additional 128-bit "secret IV" and calculate your IV=sequence^pre_shared_secret_IV, but IIRC this won't give you any additional "brownie points" with security guys ;-) (I hope that you won't be punished for doing it either).

Thanks for the information. This is all really new to me; I'm trying to pick up and understand how this would work. If you are encrypting the packets over AES128, do I need to go over DTLS? If I do, what is the point of encrypting the packets then? In the past, when using AES256 I've seen massive overhead penalties. I can't imagine how much overhead this would have if I'm sending a thousand packets per second.

If encrypting is acceptable over DTLS, can I reduce the overhead by just encrypting "cheat" vectors? Things like IAP transactions, in-game store and in-game currency award packets etc. This would leave things like chat messages and character movement unencrypted?

Do you know of a book, Udemy/Pluralsite or blog-series on building out these mechanics? It doesn't matter the language, I can get it into my language of choice if I can see some working basic examples of the concept in-action to help visualize the flow of operations a bit more.

To OP: Yes, this post went off track into theoretical cryptography!
Use a DTLS library like tinydtls, or the DTLS modes of OpenSSL / Gnu TLS / whatever, and you'll be more than fine.

IV-as-non-guessable: In CFB mode, that doesn't seem important, agreed.
In CTR mode, the crypto state is re-initialized for each block, so the output data stream is like a large number of very small plaintexts, each of which uses the same key but different IV.
Maybe I just haven't been keeping up, and that isn't as bad as it sounds. I need to read up on that more -- thanks for the impetus!
Btw: An alternative to using changing IVs is to use a fixed IV, but encrypting and including 16 bytes of strong random at the beginning of each datagram.
This will make sure that a re-used payload, key, and IV, still leads to a strongly different ciphertext. This allows you to use CFB mode for each packet, without any inter-packet depdendencies.

Btw: When using CTR mode for UDP datagrams, don't you have to bump the serial number by the number of 16-byte blocks for each packet you send?
Bumping it by just one per datagram seems insufficient, as you'll otherwise be re-using IVs between at least some blocks.
So, where does the counter come from? If you want to derive the IV from the protocol-level datagram sequence number, you have to assume that every datagram is maximum size (reducing the max transmittable size during a session) or you have to send "block sequence number" separate from "datagram sequence number."
I imagine both of those are livable (and less per-packet overhead than sending 16 bytes of random) though.

To OP: Yes, this post went off track into theoretical cryptography!
Use a DTLS library like tinydtls, or the DTLS modes of OpenSSL / Gnu TLS / whatever, and you'll be more than fine.

If I use a DTLS lib I don't have to worry about encryption at all? At which point I can just use a sequence number meant for tracking my packet delivery rather than a sequence number needed for and IV on the packet?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement