• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Floru

Huges arrays

This topic is 6174 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi. How could I use following array: DWORD ARY[4294967296]; // 2^32 I could not make it work in Visual C++ 6 because the size of array was too big. Is there any way to use very big arrays? Floru

Advertisement
WOOOOAAAA!!! Thats 16 Gigabytes of memory your trying to allocate there, I know memory is cheap these days but I don''t believe its that cheap. I mean I think 128Mb-512Mb is standard for most new PCs now. Okay newer PC''s may have to have 2Gb RAM to run XP...LOL But unless you really want to be swapping like mad I think you''ll have to find another way to write your program!

If you just want it to compile see something like malloc() or new(c++) but I''m still not sure they''ll take numbers that big!

BTW: I think that even if you do have 16Gb of RAM there is issues with accessing the areas over 4Gb on 32bit processors - Correct me if I''m wrong.

I''m reading a file from beginning to end. I read the file in 32-bit (DWORD) chunks. And I want to know what are the least and most occurred numbers in the file.

In very simple way:

DWORD ary[4294967296];
DWORD num;

ZeroMemory(ary)

while(!feof(file)
{
fread(&num, sizeof(num), 1, file);
ary[num]++;
}

And I would know exactly how many occurrences of each number in file. But it''s not necessary to know all the occurrences perhaps only 20 biggest and smallest occurrences.

Floru

why dont you instead use a linked list of a structure that holds the number and a counter to how many times you find the number, on each reading loop then you walk the list, if you find the newly loaded number, you ++ the counter on that node, if you dont, you add a new node at the end, and set the counter to 1. when you reach EOF you walk the list again to harvest the results.

hope it helps.

This may not be the most efficient way of doing this but it will certainly be more efficient than trying to allocate 16GB:

struct info
{
DWORD value;
DWORD count;
};

int main(int argc, char **argv)
{
std::vector<info> infovec;
DWORD num;

while(!feof(file)
{
fread(&num, sizeof(num), 1, file);

std::vector<info>::iterator it = infovec.begin();
std::vector<info>::iterator end = infovec.end();
while (it != end) {
if (it->value == num) {
it->count++
break;
} else {
info i;
i.value = num;
i.count = 1;
infovec.push_back(i);
}

++it;
}
}
}

Don''t use a linked list!! (Linear search time, ARGH).
Use a hash table (constant search time). Or if you can''t, a std::map (log search time).

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!