• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
menyo

Getting dimensions/model from a picture?

This topic is 918 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Not sure if I'm in the right sections but I am very interested into technology that allows you to take X pictures from a interior and translate that into a very basic 3D model. The problem is I don't know where to start. There is recognition software that has things in common but how do you go about creating a 3D environment from a picture or perhaps a panorama or HDRI image? I know this can be done with faces and complete bodies but humans look much more alike then interiors from houses, offices and industrial buildings. So where do I start finding more information on this topic?

This could be great in augmented reality where you actually see a different/altered version of the place you are actually standing. And this could easily translate to games as well.

Advertisement
If you search autodesk website, you'll find a free beta project called memento which is free (for now).

It lets you take several (read as: dozens) of pictures of a 3d environment with a consumer level camera, upload them to their cloud server and get an fbx file 3d model out of the other end. This doesn't give source code on how it does it, though.

There are other ways such as meshlab but they're harder to use. They do however come with full source under GPL licensing so you can see how they work.

Obviously the more photos you take the better quality the end result.

Hope this helps!

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!