• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
SeraphLance

C++ Self-Evaluation Metrics

This topic is 998 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm really not sure whether this belongs in General Programming or Job advice, but I'll try here...

Looking at some of the jobs out there, twice I've been asked on a phone interview to rate my C++ ability "on a scale of 1 to 10".  I've had great difficulty answering that question.  C++ is a huge language, and a "10" can be anywhere from "mastery of template meta-programming" to "practically sits on the standards committee".  Obviously no two peoples' metrics are going to be the same, but does anyone have an idea of what those scores typically shoot for?

Advertisement

(Early in my career somebody told me a joke to that effect, and like all jokes it has some element of truth. It's generally the answer I hear, and usually the answer I expect to get, although I never ask the question myself in a hiring context because it's bullshit. A value of 8 or so does, however, tend to convey "I'm pretty good at this but not dumb enough to think I know everything.")

Damn, I ballparked a 7 on both occasions.  I guess that just makes me a gentleman's average.

I'm glad to see people belittling the question though.  I did feel it was a bit silly.

Everybody answers with 8.

We tend to always hear 7 in our interviews with junior (read: fresh out of school) candidates, where 10 is "You're on par with someone on the standards committee". It's a relatively "safe" estimate considering a candidate doesn't want to look bad when asked this question, although if you look at it on the scale we use a 7 is still quite high. C++ just has so many nasty complex aspects to it.

We don't hold these kinds of answers against a candidate though, we know that most people either over-estimate their own skills or just aren't aware of the full complexity of a language like C++, and that's completely fine.

Stop asking stupid interview questions.

This. If I am at an interview and I get asked this question and something like "What is your greatest weakness?", I am walking out.

If I'm asked in the future i will answer 2 so i can work with someone that is an eight and we will know everything :).

The corollary to this is that if you write "C++ Expert" on your resume, many interviewers will make it their mission to find every last thing you don't know...

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!