What are some good programming resources for Unreal Engine 4 (C++)?

Started by
7 comments, last by miloudeloumri 8 years ago
Hello everyone,

A long time ago I learned C++ and used it for some time to make console based
applications (stretching from easy to hard).

My heart always stayed at making games, so a few different times I decided to start learning
Unreal Engine 4. But everytime, I stopped at a point, after I could manage to learn much, as for me the resources (for programming) were not really clear, as I think the engines resources are mostly aimed at real beginners that want to use the blueprint system.

So now my question is, what are some good resources you know of or have used or which you use?

Thanks
Advertisement
Even though its vague, he did ask for good resources.

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

Personally I find the best resources are YouTube, and the ue4 wiki.

If you're unsure, search YouTube for whatever you're after, watch it and pause to follow it to understand it.

Remember though to not follow it blindly, make it fit your own code.

Generally there are lots of examples of various things on their wiki, and you're in the right place to ask general game development questions relating to ue4, anything else they have incredible forums for.

Have fun!

You may check these:

C++ with Unreal Engine by example (log in as a guest)

Tom Looman, Game and Tools Programming

Unreal Engine 4 byTom Looman

Video Tutorials On YouTube

Look for answers on this Forum

Thanks, I especially like the last post and I will definitely try the links!

One extra question: I'm choosing a project to start with. Will a small strategy game be too hard?

If yes, what's a good starting project (after the basic pickup game project)?

Thanks

I have this book, and haven't found it to be particularly good for someone with some C++ and UE4 skills. A lot of space is taken up by general explanation of the engine, how to use the editor, stuff like that. Then the first third or so is a general introduction into C++, which might be good for beginners... but really, C++ for UE4 looks like nothing more than the carrot to get newbies to pick up C++ in case of this book.

Yes, you learn how to use UE4, both the editor and some C++ basics... but only in passing. Yes, you learn the basics of C++... good if you are a beginner.

If you are not a beginner, and really interested into programming C++ for UE4 past beginner topics, skip this book.

Yes, the book is for beginners and perhaps intermediate too. I read it almost entirely and found it useful. It pus things in perspective (it gives the big picture and puts you inside the frame) especially regarding UE4 special C++ API. If someone new to UE4 C++, I think it is one of the good places to get started quickly. I believe it is the only and the first book in this context.

Thanks, I especially like the last post and I will definitely try the links!

One extra question: I'm choosing a project to start with. Will a small strategy game be too hard?

If yes, what's a good starting project (after the basic pickup game project)?

Thanks

Maybe after this battery collector is this coop survival. I believe it is also good to start with puzzle kind game. Look for some complete big projects. You can find like these projects with their source code on github. You can also study UE source code on github, documentation or from your machine such as on (C:\Program Files (x86)\Epic Games\4.10\Engine\Source).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement