Is making a Slender Game in Unity a viable first game?

Started by
7 comments, last by spooneystone 8 years ago

Hallo!

You may have remembered me from earlier posts, but I'm not here to talk about that.

You see, I've been trying to make a good, viable first game to start off with, and I've decided with making a Slender game (of course you know what that is smile.png).

I've even made a first version, the link will be up soon, if you want to check it out.

Imagine all the people 

Livin' life in peace...

Advertisement
What is a slender game?

Looking for Java coder (smartfox) and 2D UI Artists for my Island Troll Tribes stand alone game: Here

something about Slender Man?

what you run from him?

you keep him from possessing your friends?

screw that, juts gimme an AK.. F this dude!

oh but then you shoot and see he's just a shadow..

so slender the bullets can't hit him.

seriously, what do you mean by a slender game?

Norm Barrows

Rockland Software Productions

"Building PC games since 1989"

rocklandsoftware.net

PLAY CAVEMAN NOW!

http://rocklandsoftware.net/beta.php

Like Slender: The 8 Pages.

Imagine all the people 

Livin' life in peace...

Ehr....

You should REALLY not expect anyone on this board to know a game you are talking about, not matter how popular it is (Yes, I know GTA 5 pretty well, I have never played it and never will, so don't expect me to actually know what you are talking about if you go into details without explaning yourself)...

Moreso with a PRETTY obscure game like the one you were referencing.

I did you a favor and googled it. This turned up:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2045591/review-the-gaming-is-thin-in-free-survival-horror-slenderman-the-eight-pages.html

Apart from the game aparently being not so good (and the whole Slenderman thing sound like a rather lame internet fad, but what do I know), I found the image in the middle of the page showing you the resolution and graphics option rather interesting... why? Because this is pretty much the standart Unity startup dialog, plus the Slenderman image replacing the Unity branding.

I would bet this Slenderman game has been built with Unity also, so at least part of your question has pretty much been answered.

Yes, you can do it in Unity. If it is viable as a first game is a different question though. Looking at the images of the game, it looks pretty basic. 3D, yes. Crappy textures and low poly objects though.

IF you are able to use Blender beyond absolute beginner level, you should be able to produce this quality of 3D objects pretty fast. And at that stage, you could get objects of similar quality for free from the web without any problems.

Given you don't go overboard with the unnecessary stuff (effect, viewdistance, and so on), and you don't do something stupid (using 1000 of meshes without batching or combining them), you should also not see any performance problems.

Just a quick word of warning. Never underestimate the amount of work that even goes into a basic, dated looking game. Game development is A LOT of work, even if you manage to cut corners. You should still calculate about 6-12 months for such a game, given you scope it reasonably (read, you don't go overboard with dozens of levels or dozens of hours of gameplay).

Now, go and do a better job than the devs of this particular game apparently did... hopefully yours will get better reviews smile.png

What does "viable" mean in this context?

Also, unless something has changed overnight, IP laws protect indie studios as well as AAA studios, so if you're planning on releasing this publicly you may want to consider that.

void hurrrrrrrr() {__asm sub [ebp+4],5;}

There are ten kinds of people in this world: those who understand binary and those who don't.
Also, unless something has changed overnight, IP laws protect indie studios as well as AAA studios, so if you're planning on releasing this publicly you may want to consider that.

AFAIK this Slenderman thing is something of an internet phenomena, I guess something like rickrolling, just less well known or funny. At least that is what my very quick googling tells me.

So as long as the TO is not ripping off the other Slenderman games completly, he is most probably fine as nobody really holds the IP to the Slenderman idea.

AFAIK this Slenderman thing is something of an internet phenomena, I guess something like rickrolling, just less well known or funny. At least that is what my very quick googling tells me.

So as long as the TO is not ripping off the other Slenderman games completly, he is most probably fine as nobody really holds the IP to the Slenderman idea.

From Wikipedia: "created by Something Awful forums user Eric Knudsen (a.k.a. "Victor Surge") in 2009".

That's enforceable. (He'll probably give permission, though.)

void hurrrrrrrr() {__asm sub [ebp+4],5;}

There are ten kinds of people in this world: those who understand binary and those who don't.
Just make something very simple so you can get the through all the processes of making and releasing a game. A little tip is that if you have a bigger project in mind still work on it . But inbetween do smaller games.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement