• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Shane C

Too good to be true?

This topic is 990 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hypothetically speaking, I could:

1. Buy RPG Maker MV for $80
2. Craft a storyline better than your typical mobile game, taking 3 whole seconds
3. Make a RPG using premade assets
4. Throw in a couple of songs not in the kit for flavor
5. Release it on the App Store, because you can legally release games made with the kit even using the kit's assets AFAIK - just read the terms
6. Probably make a thousand dollars or more, since the premade assets would be up-to-snuff quality, and since you're really not competing with much, even among other people who used RPG Maker

What are the flaws in this idea? It sounds downright evil and diabolical, because most of us or at least me have it embedded in our brains to actually try harder than a kit like RPG Maker, even if we fail badly.....

Advertisement
Sorry if I was a bit snarky in the OP. It runs the risk of rubbing people the wrong way. I think Tom Sloper summed it up really well when he said, "it's possible, but you have to play your cards right".

Okay, so I am between the skill level of making the next 3D game I envision, which will probably turn out bad due to it being too much for one person like myself, and mastering the RPG Maker program, actually maybe producing a good game with it. My question is, what should I go for?

When I said it takes 3 seconds to make a good story, I was of course being sarcastic, saying "It takes way less time than producing a novel to make a storyline that can compete with your average mobile game." I of course wouldn't take this route. I would want to spend more time with it. Again, I need to stop being so snarky when I try to get points across.

It's not impossible, but it takes time, skill, dedication, and filling a niche that isn't crowded.  Stardew Valley is a pretty good example of a game that could probably be made with RPGmaker, (I don't know if it was or not, certainly could've been)

Also Stardew valley took, what only 4 years of self-imposed crunch =)

Edited by ferrous

"Make a RPG using premade assets."

The problem is, all the premade assets don't actually fit very well together unless you use the most commonly used art style that everyone else already uses.

You'll have to do:

A) Some serious modifying and tweaking of assets from various different free sources, to make them fit well together

B) Spend serious effort making new assets, to fill the big gaps that existing assets don't cover well.

or C) Use the generic RPG Maker art-style that everybody uses, meaning NOBODY will buy your game, because it looks like every other trashy RPG Maker game. You can shout "But I have a better story, honest!" but your screenshots will shout "GENERIC!" even louder.

You can't see good story in screenshots or even in videotrailers.

1. Buy RPG Maker MV for $80.
2. Craft an RPG storyline over the course of several months - say $10k worth of labour.
3. Make a RPG using premade assets.
4. Throw in a couple of songs not in the kit for flavor.
5. Release it on the App Store, because you can legally release games made with the kit even using the kit's assets AFAIK - just read the terms
6. Probably make zero dollars, since about eight million games are published per second and you did no marketing
FTFY

QFE

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!