• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Windowing System Libraries for C#

This topic is 747 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Many programs have systems for including subwindows in the overall interface. (examples are Gimp, Visual Studio, Blender, and many many others) General features include opening new subwindows, dragging them to different to various fixed slots, putting them on top of each other to make a tabbed list, and sometimes dragging them to the middle of nowhere to make a floating window. I am making a program that requires such a system, however, I don't have the time to develop the whole thing, at least, unless really necessary. I am looking for a library to do this stuff for me. I don't really care if the library uses windows forums, WPF, Monogame, or anything else. What I need to do would work fine in any system. I searched google up and down for something like this yesterday, but I couldn't find the right search terms, or nothing like this exists. Even if someone could point me to a tutorial on how to do this yourself, it would be greatly appreciated.

So, does anyone know of a library or tutorial like this?

Advertisement

For WPF, there is AvalonDock

WinForms, I believe it's built in, it's been ages since I've mucked with it.

AvalonDock is the only one that exists right now (Maybe others exist but they are not public).

It's not perfect but should suit you well.

WPF does not run on Linux/Mono.  

Mono has deprecated WinForms support although it seems to work for most cases (I'm running some custom GDI+ drawn controls with it right now).

WeifenLuo's Docking is the go-to for WinForm's docking but I don't know if it works with Mono

If you really want a cross-platform GUI you may be better suited with C++ and Qt or WxWidgets.  

GTK# is a possible C# option. Doesn't seem to have a docking library.

dockDotNet https://sourceforge.net/projects/dockdotnet/ might work.

Edited by Shannon Barber

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement