Question about estimations

Started by
4 comments, last by frob 8 years, 1 month ago

Hello,

I got a project from school in which I have to make an estimation of 'man-days' needed for planning everything.

Seeing I have quite little experience myself as of now I figure I might try to ask here.

My question: Would you look over this list and make an estimation of how long you think it will take to make these things for a game?

The game I had in mind: The idea basically is a flash game Pikmin 2D idea. In which players have to work together with the Pikmin following them

around. The kind of style I had in mind for the game kind of resembles the doodle drawings teenagers make in their notebooks: http://pre09.deviantart.net/7e43/th/pre/i/2015/351/2/3/mfnst_doodle_art_by_mfnst-d9jzigv.jpg

The list: Seeing I have to break down a few amount of things in what will be needed for it. I broke it down to a few subjects just so the list won't be too long for people willing to fill it in for me.

Collect reference material:

Create mockup:

Create art style document:

Main character sprite:

Art assets (power ups, enemies, environment):

UI art:

Particle effects:

Final art polish:

Thanks for your help in advance :)

Advertisement

Hello,

I got a project from school in which I have to make an estimation of 'man-days' needed for planning everything.

Seeing I have quite little experience myself as of now I figure I might try to ask here.

My question: Would you look over this list and make an estimation of how long you think it will take to make these things for a game?

The game I had in mind: The idea basically is a flash game Pikmin 2D idea. In which players have to work together with the Pikmin following them

around. The kind of style I had in mind for the game kind of resembles the doodle drawings teenagers make in their notebooks: http://pre09.deviantart.net/7e43/th/pre/i/2015/351/2/3/mfnst_doodle_art_by_mfnst-d9jzigv.jpg

The kind of levels are just 1 screen in which you move around much like Fireboy and Watergirl: http://b.vimeocdn.com/ts/357/439/357439904_640.jpg

The list: Seeing I have to break down a few amount of things in what will be needed for it. I broke it down to a few subjects just so the list won't be too long for people willing to fill it in for me.

Thinking of mechanics:

Collect reference material:

Level design:

Powerups:

Enemies behaviour:

Playtesting:

Level polishing:

Thanks for your help in advance smile.png

Scheduling is not a Game Design question. Moving to Production/Management. And please do not cross-post.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Scheduling is not an art question. Assuming this post contains differences from the one you posted in Game Design, I'm not closing this but moving it, and possibly merging the two, in Production/Management.

Zippy, your post is now in the correct forum. Your cross-posts have now been merged. But upon rereading your question, I see that you are asking us to do your homework for you. You are supposed to "make an estimation," but all you're doing is asking others to make it for you. We don't permit homework-helping in this website, so I'm locking it.

That said, nobody can give you good time estimates without a better idea of scale.

Repeating a key element:

My estimate for me to do the work is going to be different from your estimate for you to do the work.

Each individual will take a different amount of time depending on their knowledge of the problem, knowledge of the tools, experience, tools, and many other factors. The actual time depends on the individual involved.

A beginner may estimate something will take two years, an intermediate skilled developer may say three months, and an expert may say one week, and all three may be correct.

This is not a field where the physical tasks are the limiting factor, such as knowing someone can nail together x fence boards per hour or dig x post holes per hour with a post hole digger, but instead this is a field where knowledge and experience are the key to implementing a solution.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement