How do I deal with market glut?

Started by
10 comments, last by frob 8 years ago

Hi there, how do I deal with market glut?To be more specific, I have some game ideas, but the Play Store are full(400k) of apps.How my game will be visible?Try new OS, like windows phone?Create larger projects?I have made just one game, so I guess the second should not be much ambitious.

Advertisement

Breaking the wall of indifference is probably the biggest concern for modern products.

For the most part, it is no longer so much about making a great game, just focusing on making a good game and spending everything else on finding a creative way to advertise it.

This is particularly true on mobile, but even platforms such as Steam suffer from the large amount of games that are (and were) made.

If there was a trade secret that works every time, it would probably well guarded, but the truth is that every studio fends for itself in trying to get enough exposure, and when they have one recipe that do work, they tend not to share it, and it generally doesn't work on their next game.

Publishers used to be a big help, and some of them still are relevant if only by the sheer amount of ads they'll be able to throw at players without actually spending a dime (cross-referencing for example), but for a newcomer, this is a tough crowd.

One thing I've seen working particularly well for 3 local indies was being handpicked by a Youtube personality and rolling with it.

Another (very original) developer chose to stream his development for over a year. He has a great personality though, so it helped, and his studio is older than the indie bubble, so it really helped.

I can offer no straight solution, but rest assured it is many people's jobs than to figure these things out.

I wish you luck!

There really is no easy way to get noticed on mobile anymore. It was a gold mine a few years ago but now its "just another platform".

There are two ways of getting your quality game noticed. These are:

Spend a lot of money on marketing.

or
Do a lot of hard work building up a social presence, acquiring followers, posting youtube videos and building a community for your game (basically doing the marketing yourself).

As far as I read the current situation, at the moment the mobile App stores are a tough place to do business as a small time Indie. The big boys came in and took over the spotlight, and unless you have a VERY good plan or just plain old luck, your App will just be drowned in the noise.

Add to that the fact that it is actually pretty hard to ask for any money on the App Stores (there are other ways to monetize of course).

AFAIK the situation is not much better on Steam or similar platforms, with many devs AND players having complained about Steam lacking in features to help devs with visibility and players with finding relevant titles, but at least you can ask for a healthy price on Steam without offending people. The same game can sell on Steam for 10$ that has a hard time asking even for 1$ on the mobile App stores.

Of course that doesn't work for all games (some games just don't work outside mobile phones or tablets), but at the moment it looks to me like PC, or maybe Console dev is the better ground for Indies.

That doesn't make the need for marketing any less important though. Putting a game on Steam without marketing will most probably net you the same income as putting the same game, also without marketing, on any other store: Zero.

The big boys came in and took over the spotlight

Not really the big boys. Even well known established AAA PC and Console developers and publishers are having a difficult time of it in the App Store as there is just too much crap out there. Even if everybody who is a core gamer were to download your game it still wouldn't be in the top ten because the majority of app users are not gamers and are quite happy to download some crappy "cow clicker".

AFAIK the situation is not much better on Steam

Steam is getting pretty bad but, I don't think it would ever reach the same levels as the app store simply because anybody buying from or selling on steam is at least a gamer.

PC, or maybe Console dev is the better ground for Indies

Agreed but, I would also add web. Its still possible to generate money from good quality HTML5 web games if you can get on the right portal.

There really is no easy way to get noticed on mobile anymore. It was a gold mine a few years ago but now its "just another platform".

There are two ways of getting your quality game noticed. These are:

Spend a lot of money on marketing.

or
Do a lot of hard work building up a social presence, acquiring followers, posting youtube videos and building a community for your game (basically doing the marketing yourself).

There's a third, which I wouldn't advocate, but which happens to work more often than one might think:

- Clone a game (a lot of Asia-based developers make money off that)

There's even a fourth, loosely related to the third:

- Do something morally objectionable. This can go either way, as it will garner a lot of interest from the press, but could cost you your reputation. It 'does' break the wall of indifference, but I wouldn't advocate it as a business plan. Still, in the spirit of being exhaustive, I thought it needed to be mentioned.

The big boys came in and took over the spotlight

Not really the big boys. Even well known established AAA PC and Console developers and publishers are having a difficult time of it in the App Store as there is just too much crap out there. Even if everybody who is a core gamer were to download your game it still wouldn't be in the top ten because the majority of app users are not gamers and are quite happy to download some crappy "cow clicker".

Well, the only way to be successfull on the app stores currently is a massive amount of visibility... something the big players are way better at, not least because they can pay millions for ads.

Of course, the AAA devs and publishers coming from more traditional platforms and trying to enter the market now are also struggling, there are already big player entrenched in the market, and the business is quite different from PC and Console, so they have to do a lot of relearning, fast. I guess some just miscalculated the price to get a successfull game to the store (which is often not that expensive to develop, but very expensive from a marketing perspective).

The big AAA mobile devs, King and co., on the other hand pretty much have the market in their grip. Some of them are also flailing (falling user number for example), but they are complaining at a way higher level than the small Indie devs that have difficulties to even get SOME users.

Agreed but, I would also add web. Its still possible to generate money from good quality HTML5 web games if you can get on the right portal.

Sure? I thought even the portals were struggling, with some closing down. But I could misjudge a consolidation of the market because of the slow death of flash with a general move from web to mobile.

There's a third, which I wouldn't advocate, but which happens to work more often than one might think:

The clone games don't really get your game noticed. They just add to the general churn of rubbish games. Sure you can make a living as an individual just cloning games but it is still small potatoes compared to having a good quality title. Since the original question was regarding the OP getting his own title noticed rather than "just making some money" then this wouldn't really help him.

- Do something morally objectionable. This can go either way, as it will garner a lot of interest from the press, but could cost you your reputation. It 'does' break the wall of indifference, but I wouldn't advocate it as a business plan. Still, in the spirit of being exhaustive, I thought it needed to be mentioned.

Not really . You still need to get your morally objectionable game seen by the press. You are basically just doing viral marketing and cutting it pretty close to the bone so this is still going down the hard marketing route. Also wouldn't really help the OP unless his game was already morally objectionable. I mean he's not going to create an awesome game and then go and make all the characters have their cocks hanging out just to get noticed.

The clone games don't really get your game noticed. They just add to the general churn of rubbish games. Sure you can make a living as an individual just cloning games but it is still small potatoes compared to having a good quality title. Since the original question was regarding the OP getting his own title noticed rather than "just making some money" then this wouldn't really help him.

Not really . You still need to get your morally objectionable game seen by the press. You are basically just doing viral marketing and cutting it pretty close to the bone so this is still going down the hard marketing route. Also wouldn't really help the OP unless his game was already morally objectionable. I mean he's not going to create an awesome game and then go and make all the characters have their cocks hanging out just to get noticed.

Actually incorrect. Recently, a number of well known games were cloned to great effect. The exposure worked for them and not only did they make money off of it, but it was noticed by several thousands of people very quickly (even before either of the stores managed to pull them out).

One thing I'm seeing some developers doing on Android is churning out a variety of games using the same assets and general style, but which play quite differently.

While this won't necessarily help you break through the wall of indifference, it lets you churn out multiple games rather cheaply, increasing the odds that a potential customer stumbles upon one of your products. If they use and enjoy one product of yours, there's a good chance they'll look at all of them.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement