• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

shalom

VB as a game language

This topic is 6113 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I know VB quite well, and I want to know what people think of the possibility of game programming in it. I know C++, which I know most people use for game programming, but unfortunately, I don''t know how to do windows programming and I don''t feel like learning. What are the pro''s and con''s of programming VB as opposed to VC++?

Advertisement
it is slower, basically. people will say there are things you can''t get done with VB that you could with c++, but most of the stuff you could work around anyway by putting some thought into it.
by the way, windows programming with c++ isn''t all that hard if you find a good book or tutorial. i learned quite a bit fairly quickly just using online tutorials (and reading gamedev.net forums). it ain''t so bad

--- krez (krezisback@aol.com)

I agree with what krez said. You can program games in VB. Yes you can do most of the same things in VB as you can do in C++, but VB does lack some more, shall I call them, advanced features. C++ tends to be faster than VB, but unless you are doing a great deal of computations or using a very complex algorithm, the speed is comparable. You can also use Object Oriented modeling in C++. VB allows for pseudo OOP, but it is not as robust.

I know that this thread will most likely evolve into a VB vs C++ war. And as always, it comes back to this one point, it is up to the programmer. If you like VB go with it, have fun, and don''t let anyone tell you otherwise. That''s the beauty of programming, you have complete control over what you want to do. Good Luck.

-----------------------------
kevin@mayday-anime.com
http://games.mayday-anime.com

I agree with the top two. I personally LOVE programming games in VB! I use an awesome VB engine called TrueVision3D. Its very comparable to any of the 3D engines out for C++, if not better in some aspects. Give it a try if you''d like...they have awesome tutorials and samples that you can download along with THE BEST community I''ve ever been a part of. Everyone is willing to help eachother out

www.truevision3dsdk.com is their site...I''m sure you''ll feel welcome if you want to give it a try.

Guest Anonymous Poster
Use what you want - but VB for coding a game? I can''t help but think that it sounds like a marketing pitch for a business app - "Fun and games with our ''magic'' spreadsheet!" - "Annoy the feds, Annoy your bookkeeper, Annoy your IT dept!" - "All for the low low price of $99.99!" - "Get yours today!!!"

;-)

Plenty of people do it, and I know some who do it professionally (not a typo )

It is easy to write really slow code in VB. If you don''t know what you are doing, then you would be better off trying a harder language which forces you into "good" habits.

I''ve found, that for most gaming applications, standard issue VB is about 5-25% slower than your standard issue C++ (I say standard issue to mean code written by people of the same skill level)

I''ve seen C++ code which I could code circles around in VB, but if you have a skilled C++ programmer and it is the CPU which is doing the slowing down not the logic, then it is a better way to compare languages. This is when the 5-25% thing comes in. I didn''t really want to put the range all the way to 25%, but unfortunately, for some operations (some string manipulation and some use of pointers) it can be that bad. Usually, I find it is around 10%, but that is just for what I do.

Also, if VB is to slow, then just put some inline ASM into it, and everything is fixed.

Moral? Use VB or use C++, if you are a good programmer, it won''t matter. If you aren''t, then you probably won''t get far in either language... just VB would be more fun

Trying is the first step towards failure.

I am not arguing against anyone who posted above but I think if you want a job programming games, you better know C++ and be able to make games using C++.

I think it depends on what game your aiming to develop and speed of development. I use VB for making dev tools and games. I find it''s a lot quicker to test out an idea in VB than C. If the type of game you want to develop is simple then VB is the way But if it''s a 3d shoot em up then I think c++ is the way but there also good 3D engines for VB. Also another thought on it is VB is only for windows and if you code in visual C++ it would''nt take much to port to another OS providing it''s not to wrapped up in DX.

Thanks for all of your ideas. I''m not a professional programmer, so I may end up using VB, but I think its time that I finally got around to learning VC++.

To the person who wasn''t arguing with me ... I totally agree, if you want a job programming games, learn C++. But don''t pass off VB as useless. For many people, VB will be great. Just don''t stop, continue to learn stuff and try out different languages (why be just limited to VB or C++, when you can use both?)

Trying is the first step towards failure.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!