VB as a game language

Started by
13 comments, last by shalom 22 years, 4 months ago
My scripting language is twice as fast as VB...
And 5 times slower then C++....

That would make C++ 10 times faster then VB, doing only simple looping and arithmetic.

Just thought Id throw that out there... =).

Z.

Edited by - Zaei on November 21, 2001 8:46:33 AM
______________"Evil is Loud"
Advertisement
To clear something up...the game engine I use (TrueVision3D) uses ASM and C++ coding in it...so it''s significantly faster than a straight VB 3D engine. I agree with ragonastick...why not use more than one language? The engine I use certainly does

And as much as I enjoy VC++ I enjoy VB even more...because there''s nothing like saying: Yeah! Thats right! My game is made using VB BIATCH!
There is no point in doing anything at all, you'll die pretty soon anyway.
I''m not a profrssional programmer either, but from what I have been reading from the books and tutorials, you don''t need a lot of windows programming for games. You really just need a shell that contains all of your windows code so that you can use the screen and then inside the shell you can use C++
If the world didn't suck we would all fly off!
I''ve not done much windows programming (only some Apps in Delphi) and I realise that VB, Delphi etc are slower than C++ but how much difference does that actually make these days when computers have hundreds of megs of RAM and 500MHz+ processors are the norm? Just curious.

---------------------
Light of my life
Fire of my loins.
My sin, my soul
LOLITA
---------------------
"All the girls that turn me on (turn me down)"
quote:
My scripting language is twice as fast as VB...
And 5 times slower then C++....

That would make C++ 10 times faster then VB, doing only simple looping and arithmetic.

Just thought Id throw that out there... =).

And let me guess, you were running it from within the IDE or not using the compiler optimisations (effectively making it a powerful scripting language) and also using non native data types (Integers or worse, Variants) and not matching types?

As I''ve said before, it is very easy to write bad VB code:

Sub Test()   Dim i As Byte   For i = 1 To 100   NextEnd SubSub Test2()    Dim i As Long    For i = 1& To 100&    NextEnd Sub 

Which one runs faster? Test or Test2? Test one uses the byte data type which is slower than integers and longs (longs are fastest), it also then uses integers for the loop bounds even without intentionally specifying it. Test2 fixes both those things... and those are only 2 examples. I could go on about how poor heaps of VB code is, but that isn''t really the purpose of this thread

Trying is the first step towards failure.
Trying is the first step towards failure.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement