• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
BitMaster

A really weird display problem

This topic is 997 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I realize the topic title is not very descriptive but I'm at a bit of a loss here and cannot even think about how to describe the issue in one short sentence (actually, a few concise search terms on how to describe that in English would probably already be helpful - I have never seen the problem myself and the only description I have is in German).

The application in question is a Qt (Qt 5.2.1 to be exact) application. It utilizes QtQuick via ANGLE and displays a semi-complicated 3D scene with QtQuick-based UI layed over. This works perfectly fine on almost all system. The customer unfortunately has problems on some few systems (all completely out of my reach so I can neither observe the problem live nor debug it in a meaningful way). The problem happens as follows:
If any window partially covers the window of our application and our application window then regains the focus, only the previously covered part of the application window updates. From what I can gather this behaves exactly as if Windows does not realize any parts of the application window which were not covered are ever dirty (even though the application invalidates the whole region several times a second) and restricts blits to just that small area which was previously covered.

This is most noticeable if (for example) Outlook opens a small 'email arrived' notification in the bottom right because after that only that tiny area occupied by notification is updated which makes the application practically unusable, but all kind of windows (for example a non-maximized Explorer window) cause the same effect.

This artifact persists until any other maximized window gains the focus and then the focus returns to our application. Apparently the 'print'-key can undo the damage as well.

The affected systems all appear to have Intel integrated graphics cards (of varying types, I have a few samples of dxdiag outputs where some of them only identify as a 'Intel(R) HD Graphics' but at least one of them is a 'Intel(R) HD Graphics 4400'). The drivers installed are not exactly new (2012, 2013, the HD 4400 has a driver from 2014) but since rendering happens via DirectX (admittedly via ANGLE) I do not really want to go 'update graphics card driver' unless absolutely necessary (also, all of these systems are in a government agency were such a thing is often a very complicated thing...).

I already tried to contact Qt support about this but they were as stumped by the problem as myself.

Does anyone have any clue? Encountered something like this before? Or at least some good keywords to feed into Google?

Edit: Just went through the ticket description of the issue one more time and updating the graphics card drivers to the most recent version was already tried on some of these systems (including the Intel HD 4400 one) and did not help. Edited by BitMaster

Advertisement
I managed to retrieve one additional bit of information: all affected systems appear to have been running at Aero Basic and the problem vanishes once Aero is fully enabled.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!