• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
ongamex92

Looking for a *.dds texture loading library in C++ that isn't specific to any Rendering API

This topic is 843 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey guys, from time to time Im looking for a *.dds texture loading library in C++ that isn't specific to any Rendering API, as I have both OpenGL and D3D API supported (and planning to do a little ray-tracing as a toy).

So do you know a library that does that thing?

Advertisement
WIC supports DDS

Yeah but it's not 'multiplaform'.

I can post the source to my DXT tool when I get home.

<A greedy emoticon>

Edited by imoogiBG

I am home. Need to eat, watch the news, and then I will make a small package taking just the related and cross-platform code for the task.

L. Spiro

What I am putting together will only do the basic loading and give you the chunks you would send to the hardware.
It will not parse the blocks into RGB images, imoogiBG.

If this is enough, you should use the above library, as it seems more fleshed out than what I am making right now.

L. Spiro

What I am putting together will only do the basic loading and give you the chunks you would send to the hardware.

This is exactley what i want.

This is exactley what i want.

The the above library looks more complete, except that it doesn’t handle mipmaps (it appears to just load them as part of a big chunk, whereas mine separates them into separate memory blocks).
But I think you don’t need mipmaps, do you?

L. Spiro

DDS is such a simple format that i'm not even sure that it needs a library.  There's no parsing/etc involved, it's just a simple header followed by data which can be directly consumed by the API without conversion.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!