A "Cyberspace" Idea...

Started by
8 comments, last by Synth0id 22 years, 5 months ago
I have this idea about implementing the legendary "cyberspace" idea of books like Snow Crash and Neuromancer although a littel variated. Here's what I'm thinking it will be like... Each user will have a client. This client will connect to individual WorldServers. These world servers will have maps that will be streamed down to the client once the client connects to that server. Once the map is done downloading it will be rendered and shown onscreen. Now that its been rendered the user will be able to navigate the "world"/map in 3d with other users in a multiuser environment. The user will only be able to see other users connected to that server keeping that world a somewhat isolated place. Now each user can have thier own small plot of land that can be connected to any world by a portal...allowing to make your own house or whatever. If you so decide that you would like to own your own world then for a fee you could download the WorldServer software with a reg number to defend against hacking(and perhaps more security measers) and host whatever amount of land you decide. The WorldServer can be hosted anywhere where as each users plot of land would be hosted on one main server mantained by me and my staff. Now the "unique" part of this is the ability for scripting/plug-ins for the users. Each user will be able to program (or use someone elses) multiple plugins that allows them to do things their avatars wouldnt normally be able to do. For example someone could create a hoverbike program that allows them to move faster than their avatar would be able to on its own. All the programming would be centered on interacting with the world and nothing network-like would be able to be written so as to defend against hackers creating malicious "punting" programs, etc. This programming/scripting would allow for infinite possiblities within the worlds and each user could load their plugin when needed so as to not get in the way when not being used. There would also be a main server that would act as a sort of search engine for all the worlds online. It would list each worlds stats including descriptions and # of users on, etc. Now i know what some of you may be thinking...its just like ActiveWorlds! Well it somewhat is...but is the super version of the ActiveWorlds idea. The scripting language would be infinately more powerful than their bot SDK and would work on every world and not just be subjective to each worlds owner. Also there would be no cheesy windows framing and controls. It would be full screen for the total-immersion im going for and the controls and options would all be in-game. Perhaps a windowed option could be implemented for those people who want to do other things besides being online. EDIT: The graphics would also be quite a bit better than ActiveWorlds because I'm using an already made engine that has many more capabilites than AV's At a later time I was thinking of implementing a internet clone for the world network. And maybe even a way to view real webpages from inside the worlds. Sort of like an internet explorer. Phew! there it is...what do you all think? Comments? Suggestions? Problems you see with this? Please respond... Thanx, Synth0id I''m a THINKER!!! Edited by - Synth0id on November 19, 2001 2:24:59 PM
There is no point in doing anything at all, you'll die pretty soon anyway.
Advertisement
cmon anyone? maybe my post was too long...

I''''m a THINKER!!!
Think this: http://pub73.ezboard.com/ftheinfestedcorefrm5.showMessage?topicID=21.topic

Michael Heilemann
---------------------------
Designer on Singularity - Sysop at Nerve Impulse
Let us never allow ourselves the sin of forgetting our dreams!
Michael Heilemann--------------------------- Designer on Singularity - Sysop at Nerve Impulse Let us never allow ourselves the sin of forgetting our dreams!
Wow! Interesting concept...but a tad bit ahead of what I''m trying to do. I want to keep myself from having to build the world on my own...but instead trying to let the users mold it the way they wish with certain limitations of course. Perhaps it would evolve into a highly detailed virtual world but it would be something that would EVOLVE into that. Not start out as so.

Understand what I''m saying?

More Commnets, Questions, or just plain ripping my idea to shreds?
Very interesting, but I don''t really care, and I won''t until I can get a pair of those virtual reality goggles and that gyroscopic thing from "Lawnmower Man".
You''re not getting responses because this isn''t a game design topic. It''s more software design/engineering.
If you have the cash (or the time to download it from the web), check out an Anime called "Serial Experiments Lain". one of the best I''ve seen, and the Wired World that is the center of everything in that series is very similar to what your idea is.

Z.
______________"Evil is Loud"
Or, you could forget the 3D part, and just go for the "alternate internet" idea, to make things a bit simpler =).

Z.
______________"Evil is Loud"
@Oluseyi
Maybe I came off wrong but I posted this here so that I could get peoples input on what they think of the idea not how it would be implemented. I am very confindent that I could pull this off coding wise...infact I have a good chunk of it done already. I am looking for input on whether my fellow developers would think its profitable and/or people would use it. Does it appeal to you guys as fun? Sort of as an alternate on the regular 3D chat? Maybe someone could tell me some things that they dont like about it but at the same time suggest something that they would like to see in it.

Sorry for the misrepresentation I gave originally about where this post was going

More comments/suggestions would be appreciated!
Well, I understand your point (and I''m not saying you''re wrong or misguided); it''s just that the Game Design forum usually is about creative aspects of game development as opposed to technical aspects. For example, whether it is a client-server topology or a peer-to-peer network is irrelevant here; all we''re concerned about is how that would affect gameplay, what forms of interaction would be promoted and/or hindered and how the overall experience would be enriched. This is closely tied to story and game objectives, and so forth.

Since that''s not quite the view you present, I think you wont find as much useful criticism here. Better forums would be General Programming, Game Programming or Software Engineering. You can ask the moderator to transfer the thread for you, for example.

Please note that I''m not saying this doesn''t belong here - that''s not my place. Best wishes.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement