• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Shyr

What do I need to know?

This topic is 991 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I want to make a 2D multiplayer online browser game. It's not necessarily a MMO, but it is multiplayer. And online.

To give you an idea of what I want to do, I'll summarize my main objectives briefly (probably in order too):

• Create an account with an email and a password
  • Customize your avatar with costumes
  • Walk around a 2D tile-based open world map
  • Talk to other players in chat box
  • Add friends
  • Play minigames to earn gold
  • Get leaderboard rank in competitions (solo and party games)
  • Get achievements for doing stuff
  • Get event item prizes for winning contests, which might be seasonal or weekly
  • Buy costumes
  • Buy furniture (for the apartment you get; you can also invite other players to it)
  • Buy pets (pet sim AI)
  • Buy toys (ingame things you play around with or get small benefits from)

It's not combat-focused (compare Harvest Moon, Animal Crossing, pet sims, the Sims)

I'm not really sure where to start or how everything works in networked games. What do I need to know if I want to make this?

Disclaimer: I do have some experience with JavaScript/HTML/CSS/PHP/C++, and various other languages. (Please only share constructive advice/resources.)

Advertisement

I probably should have clarified that I have indeed programmed games before. I am technically a beginner in networking. Not in game development as a whole. Sorry. :D 

I've heard of things like WebSockets, NodeJS, TCP, UDP, and such. Could you point me in the right direction on how to use these in a game?

If you've used any of these in personal projects, tips would be much appreciated too. I'm going to investigate that stuff on my own, but I was kind of hoping for a brief explanation of what I should go with and how to use them.

Hello,

I'd suggest you to use the Steam SDK, since it can make things way easier, for example the friends system and the email account etc... wont be needed.

Have a look at Steamworks: http://www.steampowered.com/steamworks/

Another resource I always advice is GafferOnGames, as Alberth already pointed out.

There is one shortcut that nobody else has mentioned.

You havent yet mentioned your previous programming expertise. If you're sufficiently experienced in web development and javascript, you could make this whole game entirely web based, and probably bypass a lot of the difficulties of making a client that's compatible everywhere, coming up with reliable protocols, etc. It also means that anyone can play it on any platform with a HTML 5 able browser.

Worth considering, if you have the prerequisite knowledge...

Edit: Just re-read your OP and found your disclaimer - consider this as your best route into getting this game made :)

Edited by braindigitalis

If you're sufficiently experienced in web development and javascript, you could make this whole game entirely web based, and probably bypass a lot of the difficulties of making a client that's compatible everywhere, coming up with reliable protocols, etc. It also means that anyone can play it on any platform with a HTML 5 able browser.

You really hit the nail on the head there. That's exactly what I'm shooting for. Problem is, I'm not sufficiently experienced in server-side development. So I got the idea to ask here about the things that go on under the hood of our favorite MMOs.

As of now, I think I need a browser-based client (HTML/JS) to actually play the game, a server that receives and sends updated information with a client (PHP? NODEJS? I don't even know), and a database that acts as persistent storage across the board for that data (SQL I guess).

Correct me if I'm wrong. This is how it seems to work.

CLIENT <-----> SERVER <-----> DATABASE

(SHOW DATA) <-----> (TRANSFER DATA) <-----> (STORE DATA)

All that's left is to search for a resource that shows me how to actually do this.

When I was looking into Steam before, Matth, I remember them stating that they only allow standalone games on their platform (so no browser-based games). Unfortunately, that might not pan out for my project.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!