Help with a Game

Started by
9 comments, last by Alberth 8 years ago

:) Hello there! I'm a new game dev, and I am having a struggle. I am working on a new slasher game with the 3D Rad Engine. I need to make a storyline, plot, a killer, artwork, music, and features to the game. However, i'm not creative when it comes to my limitations. My new game is called "Psycho Night" and my site is Here. Please comment ideas, and advice if you are willing to. :unsure:

retexture-277x300.jpg<--- Main Character (Jennifer Lambert)

Advertisement

I think a green-pink lizard snake should play the main role.

Really?? You want to make a game, yet you have no idea what it should contain? What makes you think we understand what you want to have?

As limited as you may be, you are still the best person to figure out what to create.

However, creativity is not something you just get out of nowhere. You cannot sit down at a desk with a sheet of paper, and start writing brilliant creative ideas. It doesn't work like that.

Don't try to force it. Instead, write down what you know, or what you want. It doesn't have to fit all together, it doesn't even have to make sense. Just write down every idea that you have about it. Also, each idea that you got, expand it. "I have a green lizard in my game, what would it do? What does it need? What does it want?".

If you run out of ideas, leave it alone for some time, take a walk, and come back later to it.

Slowly you'll find the more interesting ideas :)

Try it, and see what you get.

Please comment ideas, and advice if you are willing to.

posting specific questions will get responses. not much else does around here. and if its where no one has gone before, or no good answer exists, you still won't get responses.

but for many of us, is almost like a game "Oh! cool! i know the answer to that one! - let me post a response! - i finally get to put some of this arcane knowledge to use!"

BTW: the character looks good although i don't care for cell shading and you ear poly count is a little low. the company name is pretty cool too.

you might want to check that name Jennifer Lambert. it sounds familiar, somebody may have used it already. you don't want to infringe on someone else's IP.

Norm Barrows

Rockland Software Productions

"Building PC games since 1989"

rocklandsoftware.net

PLAY CAVEMAN NOW!

http://rocklandsoftware.net/beta.php

I need to make a storyline, plot, a killer, artwork, music, and features to the game. However, i'm not creative

Why are you making a game if you're "not creative"? And why do you "need" all those things? Is this a school assignment?

THIS forum (Game Design) is the right forum to ask questions about your game's features. But for story and plot, ask your questions in the Writing forum. Ask your artwork questions in the Visual Arts forum. Ask your music questions in the Music And Sound forum.

If you are just trying to get people to click the link and suffer the annoying flashing background, then you should post in Your Announcements instead. I recommend you read "How To Ask Good Questions" at http://www.sloperama.com/advice/entry65.htm

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

I've been working on this game for a year now, its hard to work on a game when you have other stuff & I can't do tons because I have little experience. My limitations block the "little creativity" I have. I appreciate that you have "helped me so much." You can just give me recommendations. 3D Rad isn't the most greatest engine ever, it's just an easy tool for me to use. I'm making a game because i was inspired by another dev (Ben Cocuzza). I said that I want to make a game as good as his. I want to show my respect for his and I's style of horror. His games (Minotaur, Babysitter Bloodbath, Powerdrill Massacre, & ect.) are one of the best. his interpretation of VHS slashers are what I love. I talk to him all the time, but I can't do this really quick. I just need some littles clues and ideas to help me build a demo. :(

Hi,

I took a look at your site, and it seems youre a big fan of clock tower, one of the main characters in that was called Jennifer (but not the same surname).

Is your main protaganist's name a tribute to that game per chance?

yes, my character jennifer lambert is based from jennifer simpson. My two favorite games are power drill massacre, and clock tower: the first fear.

That is one of the most annoying and distracting website backgrounds I've ever seen. It doesn't make me want to read the site.

I need to make a storyline, plot, a killer, artwork, music, and features to the game. However, i'm not creative when it comes to my limitations

storyline:

imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

take a few stories you like and combine them, throw in your own twist on things, and adapt it to your game's setting. preferably the stories should be far removed from the games mentioned, and your gametype in genral so nobody will recognize them. let others inspire you, but make it original.

plot:

see storyline

a killer:

see storyline

artwork:

there's plenty for sale online, or you can contract custom work. some is available for free online - check for usage restrictions.. basic 2D and 3D skills are a good thing to have as a game developer, even if you aren't really an artist. get a paint progam and a 3d modeler and start playing with them. Gimp and Blender are free.

features:

by this i assume you mean game play. well, make it behave the way you want. pick what you like from games you've seen or do something you make up yourself. that's the coolest thing about being a gamedev. you have the power to change the game - IE how it works. features will require scripting or code. you can post questions here on gamedev if you get stuck.

Norm Barrows

Rockland Software Productions

"Building PC games since 1989"

rocklandsoftware.net

PLAY CAVEMAN NOW!

http://rocklandsoftware.net/beta.php

Thank you guys.

1. I'm never going to change the background of my site.

2. Do you know how to make a custom killer mask?

3. I <3 Pig Farmer Games / Puppet Combo

:)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement