Wondering how to build a somewhat complex UI...

Started by
7 comments, last by Aressera 8 years ago

I'm trying to make the UI for resource management functionalities, which are also what makes up most of the game I planned to make. However, I'm a bit lost on how exactly to do it.

I'm not sure of all the stuff this will imply, but I could think of these:

• A manager (the game class itself, probably, containing a stack of all the in-game screens)
  • A container (a screen, if you will, containing an amount of Panels (screen parts))
  • Panels (like viewports, in a way, containing any of the stuff below)
  • Buttons (multi-purpose, with a Sprite icon - much like the ones here above the forum post editing box)
  • Text Buttons (with a label - I wonder if they could double as clickable dialogue responses)
  • Text Boxes (NPC dialogue, item descriptions, story telling, etc)
  • Lists (containing non-clickable Text Buttons as indices (for stock items lists), or clickable Text Buttons (for dialogue choices), or even mini-panels (a third type of button) with a mix of elements (for example, an NPC list, and each index with a name and some stats and a mini-portrait))
  • Portraits (containing a large image of an character - to exist alongside/inside a player/NPC inspection panel)

Now, I don't really know if I can extend those functionalities like that (text button -> dialogue choice, etc). I don't know how to plan to implement all this, in terms of polymorphism and inheritance, interfaces, etc. I did this once in raw c++ in a console app, but I didn't finish it, so I never knew if it would work in the end.

I'm using c++/SFML now, but I'm more interested in understanding this conceptually (or in pseudocode). If I understand it in that way, I'll probably manage to implement it on my own.

What classes could I have and which could derive from which, and which could have versatile functionality, is what I'm trying to figure out. Also trying to figure out the way to repeat less code. Any help or suggestions or ideas, or whatever, would be greatly appreciated.

I created a pointer of type Toilet so I don't have to go to the bathroom as often.

Advertisement

i find most games just need a one line message dialog, a popup menu function, a get_string function, and a few custom screens - that's it.

Norm Barrows

Rockland Software Productions

"Building PC games since 1989"

rocklandsoftware.net

PLAY CAVEMAN NOW!

http://rocklandsoftware.net/beta.php

The most common way is to have a base class (Control , Widget , Window) .. and every UI element derive from it.

The base class will have a virtual OnMouseEvent(..) and every UI element will implement it .

For the keyboard events I like to have a focus element , so lets say you click on a text box , and in the OnMouseEvent() of the text box you do something like

GUISystem -> SetFocus(this) and this will pass all the keyboard events to the element you set .

And the third important thing is the callbacks. Let's say you register a callback for "CLICK" to some button , and the button will call it in OnMouseEvent().

This is the base and you can extend from there.

Callbacks is something that's still rather advanced for me. Though I've already read a few things about them, I might end up using them.

Do you know of any JRPG tutorials that implement menus? I had never noticed before, but it seems most of them neglect to teach that.

I'd like to take a peek at their implementation.

I created a pointer of type Toilet so I don't have to go to the bathroom as often.

While looking for that I stumbled upon this (about FF7's engine):

http://q-gears.sourceforge.net/gears.pdf

It seems they made the menus modularly (page 56).

Sadly it doesn't explain the window system used by each module.

I decided to go with something like this. It's similar to what I had done before.

Except I made Panel derive from sf::View instead (SFML View(port) class).

It seems to me this should work. We will see...

. 8h5Fvzi.jpg

(Greyed out items are just things I thought of, but don't know if I can implement or if I even need to)

The most common way is to have a base class (Control , Widget , Window) .. and every UI element derive from it.

The base class will have a virtual OnMouseEvent(..) and every UI element will implement it .

For the keyboard events I like to have a focus element , so lets say you click on a text box , and in the OnMouseEvent() of the text box you do something like

GUISystem -> SetFocus(this) and this will pass all the keyboard events to the element you set .

And the third important thing is the callbacks. Let's say you register a callback for "CLICK" to some button , and the button will call it in OnMouseEvent().

This is the base and you can extend from there.

This, except that I think it's better for the parent of every widget to maintain the focus for its level of the GUI hierarchy, rather than a global focus for the GUI. Then, each widget in the hierarchy just passes the key/text input events down to its child that locally has focus.

Another important concept is the delegate. In my case this is just a struct with a collection of std::function callbacks that respond to events for each type of widget. This is way better than the inheritance solutions required by many GUI toolkits.

Another important concept is the delegate. In my case this is just a struct with a collection of std::function callbacks that respond to events for each type of widget. This is way better than the inheritance solutions required by many GUI toolkits.

are you hooking up those delegates somehow automatically, or by hand?
it is always a little bit worrying to me to maintain it by hand, as one missed "free" and you have a call to a wild pointer.
but I also dislike using external "generator" tools like in Qt that generate binding-code (as I'd prefer to have it all self-contained).

I admit, I'm a very bad tools/ui coder. A good starting point to improve I guess :). Has anyone suggestions for books to buy? there are tons to learn Qt, wxWidgets etc. but barely focus on gamedev. I've bought some ages ago "3D Games" [Policarpo] because of the UI code, which showed some nice basics, but wasn't really going into depth.
(sorry for slightly highjackin this thread)

are you hooking up those delegates somehow automatically, or by hand?
it is always a little bit worrying to me to maintain it by hand, as one missed "free" and you have a call to a wild pointer.
but I also dislike using external "generator" tools like in Qt that generate binding-code (as I'd prefer to have it all self-contained).

I'm doing it by hand, it seems like it would be hard to automatically bind those in C++. I haven't encountered any problems so far - It's only ~100 lines of simple code (getters and setters) to configure a complex UI.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement