• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Scouting Ninja

Unreal 4 toon graphics redundant?

This topic is 902 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

So this is just a quick question, is using Unreal 4 to make a toon styled game redundant?

Unreal 4 uses the new PBR material and lighting techniques to get a more realistic look, however it doesn't have a Cell shader.

Of course Unreal can use the more advanced post processing methods for a toon like effect, however doesn't this mean that it will be doing a lot of unnecessary work that I would never use?

I am especially concerned about this as it looks like all the post processing is done after the other draw calls, meaning that I am overwriting work done by the engine.

Maybe I am just doing it wrong, does any one know where I can read up on toon post processing?

Advertisement

Take a look at the new ratchet and clank game, thats all pbr and still cartoony!

Good point, however I am looking to use the toon shading as a excuse to do less work. I believe that Ratchet and Clank still needed a full studio to make it.

The style I am after is more realistic, maybe more like anime, with flat colors, lighting and shadows. Similar to the Cell shaders.

The most important part is sharp shadows and a outline with flat colors. The actual style of the assets and characters isn't important, I can change them at will.

It's for my own game, a one man project. I don't have the time to make a Albedo, Normal, Metal and gloss for each model, I also don't have the time to check that each model is realistic.

I will have only a hand full of hours each day to work on this.

Basically I want to make normal assets, that can be excused when they don't react naturally to the world and can be made with out spending two hours adding small scratches and marks to the texture.

Cel shading is not a post-processing effect.
Research how it is implemented and then replace the rendering shaders with yours.

L. Spiro

Unreal 4 uses the new PBR material and lighting techniques to get a more realistic look, however it doesn't have a Cell shader
So make a cell shader :) UE4 lets you do that.

Also FWIW check out Obliteracers and their PBR-toon look in UE4 :)

ss_f3d880616e68583c35346dacd3931c7df45f3

Thanks for all the advice.

After looking into some of the examples I have found a way to use the PBR materials to make a toon like effect. The post processing I am using is also very light, it won't make much of a difference in a game this small.

They've got a full doc section on how to achieve it, what they refer to as stylized rendering.

This is what I am using, with only slight modifications to make my own.

Research how it is implemented and then replace the rendering shaders with yours.

I am not very good with shaders, however if my current process doesn't work I will look into hiring someone to make one.

Also FWIW check out Obliteracers and their PBR-toon look in UE4

Thanks, this is a very nice reference.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!