Obstacles in a dungeon?

Started by
8 comments, last by suliman 8 years ago

Hi

Im doing a fantasy tactical rogue-like dungeon crawler (player controls up to 6 heroes in a group).

What are good obstacles to block the corridors?

Obstacles are "solved" by picking a hero to deal with it, the hero uses a attribute tied to the obstacle; this calculates a %-chance to succeed and a cost in energy to solve the obstacle. Heroes specializes in one of 3 attributes (strength, agility, intelligence)

Obstacles:

1. Strength - debris, cave in

2. Agility - what here? (i already have lockpicking and traps as separate gameplay elements, some puzzle maybe?)

3. Intelligence - force field, ancient riddle on door (like gate to Moria maybe? Mellon!)

What is your ideas?

Thanks, Erik

Advertisement

For some reason the first thing that came to my mind was Indiana Jones series :) In that mood I can suggest the following:

Strength - huge boulder to be moved, heavy door to be pushed

Agility - large gap that must be jumped over or crossed on a rope (a the other side may be switch to raise a bridge for others.

Intelligence - stone pillars to be turned in correct order,

Not too shabby! Thanks!

More ideas people?

Strength: lift heavy things and throw players over gaps.

Agility: sneak through guards and narrow paths. Jump high and run fast.

Intelligence: one word. Magic.

Well it needs to be something that one hero can perform to then let the entire group pass (up to 6 persons in the group as I said).

Even if it would make more sence in some tasks to help each other (such as moving a boulder) that is more useful for the gameplay I have in mind than sneaking past guards. That seems very individual to me.

The hero with high agility can take out the guards so the others can pass without a fight and fetch keys.

1. Strength - Heavy wooden door to be bashed down

2. Agility

• Running across a collapsing bridge
  • Running up a heavily sloped ramp
  • Activating two timed switch and running through a door before it closes again

3. Intelligence - Recognizing (via observation) a hidden door that looks like part of the wall

Thanks guys!

Killing guards and similar actions isnt suitable as combat (even ambushes) is already the main gameplay element.

I think something along the lines of jumping across a chasm and attaching a rope so the others can pass is good for agility. Or climbing something and letting down a rope for the others.

A (mechanical or magical) riddle or puzzle that opens the path is best for intelligence i think.

How about:

High Intelligence/Perception: To recognize and warn the rest of the group before they step in guano (bat droppings).

If they fail, someone in the group says "By Jupiter! I just bought these leather boots." and they lose some Agility.

Well no Brian, just no...

But thanks for the laugh:)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement