• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Zredna

LILO problem

This topic is 6083 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi everyone! I really hope someone her can help me with my problem... I week ago I decided to install linux on my machine, but I seem to have some problems with LILO. When I boot the computer writes LI (the first part of LILO) and then it just freeze. I have heard that this is because the second part of the boot process can not be completed most likely because boot/boot.b is corrupt or missing, but that''s not my problem, because the hd boots fine in my dads computer. Does anyone know what else could cause this error? Or how I can remove LILO completely (I only have linux on that hd anyway)? I have also tried another boot manager but that didn''t work either... It have worked before on the same computer with only a few important changes: 1. There is only linux now (no windows) 2. The HD is another than last time (when it worked) 3. The BIOS have been upgraded Thanks Zredna

Advertisement
Sounds like your boot partition is located past the 1024 cylinder boundary, and the BIOS in this computer doesn''t support booting past that. Check if there is an update for your BIOS; if not, you may have to repartition so that your system is bootable.

Guest Anonymous Poster
That happened to me, I put the CD in and booted from there. Do an upgrade instead of an install. It should fix your problem.

Latest Lilo supports it. It supports upto 2TB I think

I have lilo running and my partiton is well outside 1024 cylinders.

Edit /etc/lilo.conf

Add lba32 to the start of the file. Run /sbin/lilo.

That should get you past 1024 cylinder crap.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!