Hololens Development Tools

Started by
3 comments, last by Promit 8 years ago

In case you didn't catch the live stream, the Hololens development tools (including the emulator) are now available: https://www.microsoft.com/microsoft-hololens/en-us/developers

I'm in the process of installing everything, but it would be interesting to hear any impressions you guys have on the tools!

Advertisement

I have only one concern: will it ever be a mass consumer device? Reading that site looks like they (MS) are taking the same way of Kinect... But this time is more expensive.

"Recursion is the first step towards madness." - "Skegg?ld, Skálm?ld, Skildir ro Klofnir!"
Direct3D 12 quick reference: https://github.com/alessiot89/D3D12QuickRef/

I have only one concern: will it ever be a mass consumer device? Reading that site looks like they (MS) are taking the same way of Kinect... But this time is more expensive.

Only time will tell, but to me it seems like they have put a ton of effort into ensuring that there are lots of developer tools ready for people to build things *before* the consumer launch of the device. That is the similar model to what Oculus has done, although this is a significantly more expensive developer kit.

Still, this is a new set of capabilities that we didn't really have access to before. It should be fun to see what people can build with it!

I agree, they need to have ready applications before the consumer launch (whatever will be the consumer market).

I personally would prefer a hololens-like solution instead a VR-like in a lot of games, at least it feels less claustrophobic (which is of course a personal feel) and it should still gives you a more wide choice related to the input devices, while I am not sure how is comfortable using mouse and keyboard - or other devices like joystick cloche - with a VR headset.

Hololens reminds me also a prototype project for the XBOX (360 IIRK) where the console was able with the help of led system to project the game scenario around the walls of your living-room. Of course this is more powerful (and you do not have to care about the colour and whatever is hung of your wall).

"Recursion is the first step towards madness." - "Skegg?ld, Skálm?ld, Skildir ro Klofnir!"
Direct3D 12 quick reference: https://github.com/alessiot89/D3D12QuickRef/

In the short to medium term, no. Neither the pricing nor the applications/use cases are there. But maybe longer term... I like it better than VR on the whole, though obviously they're very different things. (And could conceivably merge?) There's a lot of cool opportunities, but it'll take a very different pitch to make it a viable consumer device and even then, I think it'll have a relatively limited audience.

SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement