• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

D3DXMESH shimmering effect...

This topic is 6000 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

hi, I''ve been noticing some strange shimmering effects with the D3DXMESH objects in Direct3D8... anyone else seen them? It tends to occur worst when I use a 16bit colour depth (+16bit ZB)... and where the geometry is "thin"... I know it sounds really really vague, but if you''ve seen it then you''ll know what I mean!! I hope! If anyone does know what the heck I''m on about, have you found a way to reduce it / eliminate it?? many thanks, Jack;

Advertisement
This is well know and is called "Z fighting"
this is a z buffer trouble. Search about "Z fighting" in the post you will find a lot of topic that will answer to you better then I can.

Dan

32 or 24 bit Z buffer can help but you can''t be sure you will get it on the player''s machine.

W buffer might be the solution but it isn''t allowed also on all 3d card.

the fastest way seem to have a small range for near and far plane and also not to close from the camera. (Ie: 0.01-> 40000.0 will surely trow you in Z fighting trouble)

I personnaly use 3->9000 for exterior and this seem to work.

Dan

thats an interesting idea - will try that.

I currently use a 0.1 to 350 range... and I could probably use 1->100 easily...

I did notice that it got considerably better when using a 24 bit depth buffer... I dont have 32 bit depth buffer support to try it further though...

Jack;

• Advertisement