D3DXMESH shimmering effect...

Started by
4 comments, last by jollyjeffers 22 years, 5 months ago
hi, I''ve been noticing some strange shimmering effects with the D3DXMESH objects in Direct3D8... anyone else seen them? It tends to occur worst when I use a 16bit colour depth (+16bit ZB)... and where the geometry is "thin"... I know it sounds really really vague, but if you''ve seen it then you''ll know what I mean!! I hope! If anyone does know what the heck I''m on about, have you found a way to reduce it / eliminate it?? many thanks, Jack;

<hr align="left" width="25%" />
Jack Hoxley <small>[</small><small> Forum FAQ | Revised FAQ | MVP Profile | Developer Journal ]</small>

Advertisement
This is well know and is called "Z fighting"
this is a z buffer trouble. Search about "Z fighting" in the post you will find a lot of topic that will answer to you better then I can.

Dan
You might try using a W-buffer or use a 32bit depth buffer to fix it.
thanks for the information...

I''ll have a look into this z-fighting (I have heard of it)... it''s quite annoying =)

Jack;

Jack Hoxley <small>[</small><small> Forum FAQ | Revised FAQ | MVP Profile | Developer Journal ]</small>

32 or 24 bit Z buffer can help but you can''t be sure you will get it on the player''s machine.

W buffer might be the solution but it isn''t allowed also on all 3d card.

the fastest way seem to have a small range for near and far plane and also not to close from the camera. (Ie: 0.01-> 40000.0 will surely trow you in Z fighting trouble)

I personnaly use 3->9000 for exterior and this seem to work.

Dan
thats an interesting idea - will try that.

I currently use a 0.1 to 350 range... and I could probably use 1->100 easily...

I did notice that it got considerably better when using a 24 bit depth buffer... I dont have 32 bit depth buffer support to try it further though...

Jack;

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement