port eclipse android game for iphone

Started by
1 comment, last by Buster2000 8 years ago

i am developing an android game using Eclipse and OpenGlES1.0 it almost finished, but i want to port my game also for iphone,

what is the best and fastest way to do this?

Advertisement

The best and fastest is to start with an engine that is already cross platform.

As you are are "almost finished", your options are to either work with your existing code base and build alternative code routes for whatever code needs to be changed, or to rewrite large portions to use cross-platform libraries and fill in whatever cannot be done that way by writing your own platform-specific variant.

Depending on your code base this may be very easy (especially if all the platform-specific structures and functions are isolated away from the generic game code) or it can be easier to start over (typically the case if platform-specific code is prolific through the entire system).

It sounds like you have written your engine from scratch using Java. There are tools available that can convert your Java code to Objective C (jtoobjc is one of them) but, these all have varying degrees of success and you will have to go and find all the places where it doesn't work which could take longer than rewriting the thing from scratch.

Depending on how much your game logic is separated from your own low level rendering interface you may be able to port your game logic into libGDX which also uses Java but will compile to an iOS target.
Worst case scenario (but also the most likely) you will need to rewrite the whole thing from scratch in Objective C.

I would defiantly investigate the libGDX route though if you could convert all your low level methods to wrap similar stuff in libGDX it could be a good way forward.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement