• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
chris2001net

Wotsit.org

This topic is 927 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

What has happened to www.wotsit.org?

Where can I go for all of my file format needs now?

devel.archefire.org has wotsit archived but every format download is missing I try to grab.

Advertisement

Yeah, looks like it died in early august 2015 according to the Internet Archive. Regrettably web archivers were forbidden to crawl and index the downloads on the site because of this explanation on the Wotsit site (emphasis mine):

The download blocker will prevent any access to files on this site unless they present a valid HTTP_REFERRER tag - certain downloaders, poorly set up proxy servers and also selecting 'Save Target As' in MS Internet Explorer fail to give this information and so are blocked.

Please disable downloaders and open the links as normal.

The action of installing the download blocker was in response to several other file formats sites linking directly to files at wotsit.org and so "stealing" the bandwidth that Wotsit's Format has to pay for.

The volume of traffic through Wotsit's Format means that it has to be hosted on a commercial server which is paid for by the advertising banner revenues. The site has been making a loss since moving to the .ORG domain. People linking directly to files on the site bypass the pages with the banners on and do not contribute to the funding of the site.

I know the download protection causes problems for several users of the site but it is necessary in order to ensure the site continues to be funded... and so continues to exist.

This script was introduced in the late 90's, and is somewhat ironic in that the same web archivers which were denied access to the site's resources because they were considered to be hurting the site's growth, would have been able to preserve the site's content after it went down. It might be worth trying to contact the author (Paul Oliver, I believe) to ask if he has any backups he is willing to share, should you care enough.

Anyway, you might find some other useful resources here: http://justsolve.archiveteam.org/wiki/Sources

Thanks for the info.

yep in need of the website backup, great if the admins here can do this as it was hosted by gamedev.net.

If anyone's in touch with Paul please let me know cheers.

Edited by xdev1000

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!