• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CannoN346

Doom3 technology

This topic is 6076 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Ok, has John Carmack made the biggest leap in terms of technology with Doom3(www.nextdoom.com). Those shots look amazing but my question is, are those in-game shots or cinematics?(if they''re just cinematics, theres nothing to really get excited about).

Advertisement
I am pretty sure that that was in game (except the characters, that was in maya). Just watch the video!

Guest Anonymous Poster
it''s ingame.
they wouldn''t release cinematics to hype people up.

Guest Anonymous Poster
am i the only one who doesnt like the doom3 screenshots?
i guess i''ll have to see it first hand to like it.

They are cool, dark though. People have to realize that Doom3 will NOT look that good. The demonstration they showed was fine tuned to work with the GForce3 and the particular MAC it was running on. Not everyone is going to have a top of the line comp to run Doom3 on, so they have to make graphical sacrifices to support those with non-top of the line computers. Far in advance screenshots ALMOST always look better than the final product.

either way, it looks dark and... well, scarey. there''s nothing like walking down a barely-lit doom hallway, wondering when that beastie i can hear breathing is going to jump out and start shooting my ass.
i never got into unreal tournament or any of those other doom-like FPS games, but i just love doom & doom ii... i have a feeling that i will again be wasting good development time playing other people''s games when this comes out

--- krez (krezisback@aol.com)

If I recall correctly, I thought Carmack said that it was only going to run at something like 30fps on a GF3.

It looks like Aliens, only not. I don''t know if that''s a good sign or a bad sign.

I wanna'' ride on the pope mobile.

Guest Anonymous Poster
it only runs at 30fps because it will look silly any higher.
imagine your legs moving fast, but your at moving at a slow pace.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!