• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Doom3 technology

This topic is 5897 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Ok, has John Carmack made the biggest leap in terms of technology with Doom3(www.nextdoom.com). Those shots look amazing but my question is, are those in-game shots or cinematics?(if they''re just cinematics, theres nothing to really get excited about).

Advertisement
I am pretty sure that that was in game (except the characters, that was in maya). Just watch the video!

Guest Anonymous Poster
it''s ingame.
they wouldn''t release cinematics to hype people up.

Guest Anonymous Poster
am i the only one who doesnt like the doom3 screenshots?
i guess i''ll have to see it first hand to like it.

They are cool, dark though. People have to realize that Doom3 will NOT look that good. The demonstration they showed was fine tuned to work with the GForce3 and the particular MAC it was running on. Not everyone is going to have a top of the line comp to run Doom3 on, so they have to make graphical sacrifices to support those with non-top of the line computers. Far in advance screenshots ALMOST always look better than the final product.

either way, it looks dark and... well, scarey. there''s nothing like walking down a barely-lit doom hallway, wondering when that beastie i can hear breathing is going to jump out and start shooting my ass.
i never got into unreal tournament or any of those other doom-like FPS games, but i just love doom & doom ii... i have a feeling that i will again be wasting good development time playing other people''s games when this comes out

--- krez (krezisback@aol.com)

If I recall correctly, I thought Carmack said that it was only going to run at something like 30fps on a GF3.

It looks like Aliens, only not. I don''t know if that''s a good sign or a bad sign.

I wanna'' ride on the pope mobile.

Guest Anonymous Poster
it only runs at 30fps because it will look silly any higher.
imagine your legs moving fast, but your at moving at a slow pace.

It probably takes multiple passes to render, even with a Geforce3. The people that paid for Geforce3''s will finally get something to use their card for (running Quake at 200+ FPS isn''t using your card, it''s just wasting potential ). I''m sticking with my Geforce2 for a really long time, so I probably won''t be able to play Doom3 until after it is old and "normal" looking .

[Resist Windows XP''s Invasive Production Activation Technology!]

quote:
Original post by Anonymous Poster
it only runs at 30fps because it will look silly any higher.
imagine your legs moving fast, but your at moving at a slow pace.

It will only run at ~30fps on a gf3 because of the detail being put into it. Carmack uses time based movement and animation interpolation in his work. The game running at 16000fps (not likely, but still) will have the players legs moving at the same speed as the game running at 30fps.

Ill be buying a new pc right before I buy doom3 just so it will definately run smooth

quote:
Original post by Null and Void
It probably takes multiple passes to render, even with a Geforce3.

Yes, it will take multiple passes to render. Some polys alone are said to have upto 10 passes.

Guest Anonymous Poster
quote:
Original post by DanTheRocker
Far in advance screenshots ALMOST always look better than the final product.

Not really. And like someone said, Doom 3 is a long way from being released, and by the time it is, the pentium 4 and Geforce 3 will be half the price they are now.

Guest Anonymous Poster
The minimum requirement is still GeForce 1.

higher fps isnt going to make everything go faster. TIME-based stuff is based on clock ticks, not frames, so if 16000 frames pass in a second or 30, you will still move the same amount

It was my understanding that the new Doom game was taking advantage of the new GeForce3 chipset, and wouldn''t run on anything less - because of the new features that the GeForce3 offers.

Did anyone else see the promo video for the graphics card. That old animation of the lamp with a baby lamp was rendered realtime, where previously it took 25 minutes to render each frame! (Something like that anyway)

The screenshots are not movie sequences, they are real-time rendered scenes from the game.

The game will probably require less than a Geforce3, but wont look as nice, and have options that allow you to enable certain things if u have a Geforce 3.

In Carmack''s speech (promo video) he specifies using the geforce 3''s pixel shaders - which - by the way, aren''t on the older geforce cards. Odds are you''ll need a video card with pixel shading technology in order to play. (Of course, by the time the game is released, pixels shaders should be standard on all 3D video cards =)

"So much fun, so little time."
~Michael Sikora

Last I heard, with all the options turned on you are looking at 640x480 resolution on a geforce3. Minimum spec was to be any geforce level card though you will have to run with lower detail.

Of course there is so much time left in the games development that all speculation is probably a waste of time (although a very interesting one)

Last I heard, with all the options turned on you are looking at 640x480 resolution on a geforce3 at 30 fps. Minimum spec was to be any geforce level card though you will have to run with lower detail.

Of course there is so much time left in the games development that all speculation is probably a waste of time (although a very interesting one)

I read this somewhere for Quake3 (I imagine Doom3 will be along similar line - and a bit more)

Quake III uses 10 passes:

(passes 1 - 4: accumulate bump map)
pass 5: diffuse lighting
pass 6: base texture (with specular component)
(pass 7: specular lighting)
(pass 8: emissive lighting)
(pass 9: volumetric/atmospheric effects)
(pass 10: screen flashes)
Only on the fastest machines can up to 10 passes be done to render a single frame. If the graphics accelerator cannot maintain a reasonable framerate, various passes (those in parantheses) can be eleminated.

hence 30fps on a gf3 might also be 30fps on a gf2 - just with a little less detail...

The realtime shadow stuff was cool, but I just don''t like these shadowy-can''t-see-anything games. *sigh*

• Advertisement