• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
n00body

Texture sample as uniform array index.

This topic is 905 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Background

So I'm trying to implement a material compositing system using Texture2DArrays and vector arrays indexed by a sample from a mask texture. 

Questions

1.) Is it even possible to use a texture sample as an index into a uniform array?

2.) If it is, is there a huge performance hit?

Thanks.

Edited by n00body

Advertisement

1) Yes.
2) On modern hardware, no.

Get the HLSL compiler to spit out the assembly code of your shaders and have a quick look. Even if you can't really read the assembly, "constant waterfalling" will stand out like a sore thumb... On some older shader models, the asm will look like (psuedocode):

if sample == 0 then value = array[0] else
if sample == 1 then value = array[1] else
if sample == 2 then value = array[2] else
if sample == 3 then value = array[3] else

This shouldn't happen in shader model 4/5... but it did used to be a thing that happened... and obviously was a huge performance hit :wink:

However, consider using a structured buffer (GL: texture buffer) instead of a constant buffer (GL: uniform array) -- these are a hint to the driver that you'll be reading random subsets within the buffer, whereas a constant/uniform buffer is a hint to the driver that every pixel/vert/etc will require all data contained within the buffer.

All modern hardware that I know of can dynamically index into constant (uniform) buffers. For AMD hardware it's basically the same as using a structured buffer: for an index that can vary per-thread in a wavefront, the shader unit will issue a vector memory load through a V# contains the descriptor (base address, num elements, etc.). On Nvidia, there's 2 different paths for constant buffers and structured buffers. They recommend using constant buffers if the data is very coherent between threads, since this will be lower-latency path compared to structured buffers. I have no idea what the situation is for Intel, or any mobile GPU's.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!