Is there an opportunity for a systems engineer?

Started by
13 comments, last by UltimateWalrus 7 years, 11 months ago

Hello, I'm from Perú, South America, I'm almost 17 and this year I'll begin to study system engineering at college. I've always wanted to work in the game industry (preferably in programming), so my question would be how possible do you think it'll be for someone like me to enter to the industry (referring to getting a job, if it is possible that someone can hire me, maybe with an interview via skype, idk); I am willing to travel because there are no opportunities in game development here in Perú.

Of course, I'm now learning C# and Unity on my own, and during my studies I'l work on some projects that i will add to my portfolio.

You might think that systems engineering has not much to deal with programming, but here in South America there is a kind of misconception about system engineering, so colleges teach subjects like web and java programming, software development, etc. (and most of the maths needed to make games, but it also covers subjects like project management). Job offers for programmers in my country ask for a degree in system engineering, and I need to get experience in professional programming here first before applying to a job abroad.

You may also ask why am I not going to study Computer Science; but, to make a long story short, that career has no future in this country (nobody would hire me) :(.

Sorry for my bad english, stupidity or lack of knowledge; you can ask me whatever.

Advertisement
mjic, I moved your question to the Job Advice board because the board where you posted is for
questions about learning programming.
You're asking if you can get work as a game programmer, is that right? If the best degree you can
get in Peru is Systems Engineering, go ahead and get it. What degree a candidate has is not as
important as what the candidate has learned to do to build a spectacular portfolio.

Take this in steps: first, go for the degree. In your spare time, make games and build a portfolio.
After you have your degree, then start working towards getting a job. Maybe a game company will exist
in your area by then.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

mjic, I moved your question to the Job Advice board because the board where you posted is for
questions about learning programming.
You're asking if you can get work as a game programmer, is that right? If the best degree you can
get in Peru is Systems Engineering, go ahead and get it. What degree a candidate has is not as
important as what the candidate has learned to do to build a spectacular portfolio.

Take this in steps: first, go for the degree. In your spare time, make games and build a portfolio.
After you have your degree, then start working towards getting a job. Maybe a game company will exist
in your area by then.

You're right, I apologise for wrong topic. Thanks for the advice

While a college degree certainly helps, your credentials aren't as important as being able to demonstrate that you can program. From what I can tell, assuming you are a decent programmer you're virtually guaranteed to find some sort of job in the US, as there is rabid demand for programmers over here.

While a college degree certainly helps, your credentials aren't as important as being able to demonstrate that you can program. From what I can tell, assuming you are a decent programmer you're virtually guaranteed to find some sort of job in the US, as there is rabid demand for programmers over here.

OP is in Peru. To get a job in the US, OP would require a work visa. That is something that is going to be hard to get no matter what, it is significantly harder without a degree.

(The exception is an O-1 visa, but if you qualify for the O-1 visa, you don't need to be asking questions on a web forum)

OP is in Peru. To get a job in the US, OP would require a work visa. That is something that is going to be hard to get no matter what, it is significantly harder without a degree.

(The exception is an O-1 visa, but if you qualify for the O-1 visa, you don't need to be asking questions on a web forum)

Excuse me, what is the meaning of OP?, and I will have a bachellor´s degree, so getting a visa for me won't be too hard i think.

OP is "Original Poster".

And even with a degree, getting a visa to work in the US is a bit of a crap shoot -- you not only need a company willing to sponsor you (which most game companies are not), you need to be lucky enough to get a spot in the lottery.

Mjic, as Dave said, OP means "the original poster," the person who started the thread (you).
It's mildly inconvenient to scroll all the way back to the top post to get the name,
so forum users often just say "OP."

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

And even with a degree, getting a visa to work in the US is a bit of a crap shoot -- you not only need a company willing to sponsor you (which most game companies are not), you need to be lucky enough to get a spot in the lottery.

I think I've heard that Canada accepts people with a degree that are willing to live there.

Canada is certainly easier than the United States, but it's not automatic.

Details: http://www.immigration.ca/index.php/en/who-qualifies-for-canadian-immigration-under-the-skilled-worker-program#skilledworkergrid

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement