I am beginning to hate the IT and gaming industry (Part 2)

Started by
13 comments, last by ApochPiQ 8 years ago

Once more, this is not meant to be a sob story nor I big long story of how I gave up on gaming. If I don't tell anyone, my attitude isn't going to change, so I'm telling you guys since you've generally been good to me over the years. I've only chosen not to work at a gaming company, that's all. I guess this type of thread isn't very productive.

What are you trying to accomplish here, anyways? Nobody seems to be guessing correctly.

If you're doing this to change your attitude, you need one fundamental piece of advice:

Start by being truly open to changing your attitude.

Because this thread (much like the last one) reads as "Here's my complaints, now here's all the reasons why you guys are wrong and I should continue being bitter, abrasive, borderline toxic, and unpleasant about it all."

If you want to stop being perceived as bitter, abrasive, borderline toxic, and unpleasant, maybe you should stop complaining about things and then refusing to consider all the input that is offered.

Ultimately none of us can change your attitude, and unless you start coming across as someone who wants to be pleasant, nobody is going to sink much effort into your situation.

Of course, I probably guessed wrong as to what you're even here for, given your bizarre reticence to actually explain yourself.

Wielder of the Sacred Wands
[Work - ArenaNet] [Epoch Language] [Scribblings]

Advertisement

So one or two things in your rant I agree with but, a lot of it is "just the way things work in the IT industry".

A lot of people like programming as a hobby but, find that once they do it for a living (or even after putting up with it for several years) it just isn't for them. Its not just IT but a lot of industries, I used to build wooden boats but once I did it for an actual job I quickly realised that it sucks working full time in a commercial boat yard.

You did a rant a year ago and now you're back here with another one. Do you not think that maybe it could be time for a change of careers?
I mean even if the Verizon job pans out it is most likely that it is not going to be a job for life and a few years down the line you could be back in the same situation and again writing another rant.

You obviously like computers and probably math or you wouldn't have trained for a job in IT but, working in an environment that is toxic to you isn't good for your health and could actually end up with you resenting something that you used to enjoy (if it hasn't already).

Personally I don't hate the IT industry (I still love it) but, I have already started investigating other career paths anyway because I still have a good 30 - 40 years ahead of me before retirement and want to keep my options open and don't think being sat in a chair from 9 till 5 every day is good for me.

Okay, I remember you replied last time, but I wanted to make things a bit clearer just in case you didn't understand me now or prior. I haven't worked for any gaming related company/position since 2013 when I decided it was enough. So yes, I have applied and worked at many non-gaming companies and have been quite satisfied with most of those jobs. Needless to say, I've had much more success and fulfillment with non-game dev.

So, where exactly is the problem?

Is it that you would still like to work in the gaming industry despite your prior expieriences? Is your current job not so fullfilling, even thought it is more fullfilling than your prior game industry related jobs (or trying to get into the industry and never getting the job if that was your expierience)?

As far as I read it, you have a job that pays the bill. Good. That means you can now look for fullfillment and joy (given your day job is not already providing you with that).

If you are convinced that it is game development that can give that to you, why even try to get a job in the industry? Why not just see game development as a hobby, and do it on the side?

Yes, you do not get to work on games 24/7, and you are not able to be on the team that builds the next AAA blockbuster. On the other hand, you are free as to how and on what you work, with whom you work, and there is certainly no whiteboarding and assesments involved... just being nice to people you want to continue working with, and continuosly showing great skill and determination to keep the morale of all people involved up.

Again, I do not mean harm, just trying to give another perspective. To me it seems like you are not happy with your current situation, but I am unsure why that is.

I appreciate your response, but I'll try explaining this one more time.

No, I do not want to work in the game industry. I discovered that in 2013 that it just is not for me because I'm treated better and paid more in non gaming positions. It doesn't really have anything to do with the gaming industry either (at least this time) and I don't really hold any animosity towards it anymore either. Maybe I shouldn't have given it the title. Instead something else, because it's misleading. Now, there's one exception, and that is working for myself. I wish I could put more time into that, but I feel as if life is nothing but work to stay above water while not really having time for anything else.

I don't have a job anymore, because once again I've been laid off abruptly. When I was working at my previous positions, I was actually quite happy and hated to leave. The time I spent working at Microsoft on the Surface Hub was priceless and I would gladly work on that for years to come. It's the continuous abrupt layoffs and poorly executed interview process that is burning me out. Keeping a job IMO is much easier than getting one.

Once more, this is not meant to be a sob story nor I big long story of how I gave up on gaming. If I don't tell anyone, my attitude isn't going to change, so I'm telling you guys since you've generally been good to me over the years. I've only chosen not to work at a gaming company, that's all. I guess this type of thread isn't very productive.

What are you trying to accomplish here, anyways? Nobody seems to be guessing correctly.

If you're doing this to change your attitude, you need one fundamental piece of advice:

Start by being truly open to changing your attitude.

Because this thread (much like the last one) reads as "Here's my complaints, now here's all the reasons why you guys are wrong and I should continue being bitter, abrasive, borderline toxic, and unpleasant about it all."

If you want to stop being perceived as bitter, abrasive, borderline toxic, and unpleasant, maybe you should stop complaining about things and then refusing to consider all the input that is offered.

Ultimately none of us can change your attitude, and unless you start coming across as someone who wants to be pleasant, nobody is going to sink much effort into your situation.

Of course, I probably guessed wrong as to what you're even here for, given your bizarre reticence to actually explain yourself.

I'm trying to find out what I'm doing wrong and how to avoid the cycle of "spend months hunting for new job, work for a while, get abruptly laid off before contract end date, repeat".

I'm sorry, but it's kinda hard not to be the way I am, especially when you've been denied unemployment, the last bit of money you have has gone to rent/bills, only given $26 for a month in food stamps, and loved ones depending on you especially when their fate is linked to your ability to perform! When stuff like this happens so frequently, it's enough to burn out anyone over time. Thank God I don't have any kids because I'd be a failure as a parent.

How I type is not how I seem in person. It just feels easier to speak freely on a forum than in person.

You obviously like computers and probably math or you wouldn't have trained for a job in IT but, working in an environment that is toxic to you isn't good for your health and could actually end up with you resenting something that you used to enjoy (if it hasn't already).

It's not the work environment, it's the constant up and down time. The work environment at Microsoft was perfect; not a thing I would add or subtract to the mix.

It was awesome, like this:

Gotta run, hopefully that makes more sense.

Shogun

...I'm trying to find out what I'm doing wrong...

We need to know what your interviewers, coworkers, and managers see when they see you.

Things that go through the employer's mind in rough order of precedence:

- Need: Are your skills/knowledge something the company requires?
- Investment: Are your skills worth what the employer pays you?
- Competitive Ability: How does your motivation, speed, and correctness compare to others?
- Competitive Knowledge: How does your domain-specific knowledge compare to others?
- Team Fit: How well do you communicate? Do you get along well with others?

Good companies will try to give employees periodic reviews to let them know which areas they think need improved. Interviewees almost never get this kind of feedback, though.

How have your periodic reviews gone? I don't recall seeing you ever mention them.

Why are you asking us? We have no information about your career other than what you have provided in these threads.

You should reach out to contacts at your former positions and ask them - peers and supervisors alike. I second the idea of bringing up your periodic reviews as well.

If this is a consistent pattern and not just a couple of stray occurrences, it should become apparent very quickly what the motivations have been for your shortened terms of employment. You might also consider pursuing true permanent full-time positions whenever possible, since temp contracting is inherently subject to, well, being temporary.

Wielder of the Sacred Wands
[Work - ArenaNet] [Epoch Language] [Scribblings]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement