• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
KernalPanic

Currently perusing a Computer Science degree, but I think I may be on the wrong path.

This topic is 962 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

January 2015 I started perusing a a Computer Science BS I really enjoyed it and in my part time I started learning Unity. Fast forward to now I am still doing alright in college, but I find that I am very bored/uninterested in my programming courses. I only really care about programming games but not so much anything else. I feel as though the Computer Science BS is not for me and I'm not sure where to turn. Just wanted to put this out there and get some thoughts.

Advertisement

Trust me on this one, all the CS courses you take actually get you somewhere. You really can't do much without the concepts you learn in computer science. And the CS degree gives you a better understanding about how everything works, which will eventually become critical to you keeping your job.

Just finish it, if you get any choices then choose the things that interest you, if you ever get the opportunity to 'gamify' something then do so projects/dissertations/thesis are good places for this. It wasn't until years after my degrees that I really saw the relevance of some of the things I learned and a lot of the things are still irrelevant. That's just the nature of it.

I'm in the 'stick with it' camp.

I'm not sure how much game development you have done, but I know for me there are times when I get bored working on my current project. Being able to stick with development even when it isn't fun is key to be successful in game development or programming in general. If you enjoy programming but are just in some classes you don't enjoy then stick with it everybody has to push through less interesting times. However, if you find no enjoyment at all in programming. If the problem solving isn't appealing or you find no satisfaction in writing beautiful code, then you may want to consider other fields. Just be warned, you won't find any degree or job where you will always be having fun, even when making games. You will have to work on a project, or parts of a project that aren't exciting.

I find that I am very bored/uninterested in my programming courses. I only really care about programming games but not so much anything else. I feel as though the Computer Science BS is not for me and I'm not sure where to turn. Just wanted to put this out there and get some thoughts.

That's just how programming is; mostly boring with very few naturally interesting parts. It's a kind of masochism; you have to embrace the boring stuff in order to MAKE it interesting.

January 2015 I started perusing a a Computer Science BS I really enjoyed it and in my part time I started learning Unity. Fast forward to now I am still doing alright in college, but I find that I am very bored/uninterested in my programming courses. I only really care about programming games but not so much anything else. I feel as though the Computer Science BS is not for me and I'm not sure where to turn. Just wanted to put this out there and get some thoughts.

You may be in the same boat as me. Except I finished my degree. I sort of stayed in denial of the boredom, but it caught back up to me during my job. If you're constantly bored while programming, then don't expect the job to be any different. If anything, it's the same except more stressful and more complex. 

Like you, I only enjoy programming games, specifically my own games. Programming was best for me as a hobby, but I realized that late. I was distracted by the fact that programming is one of the best job fields in the market. But that doesn't automatically mean it's best for you or that you will enjoy it.

I urge you to see a career counselor at your school to try and find what you're interested in. Maybe you'll be able to stick it out with programming, maybe not. But definitely see a career counselor.

If you're programming because you just really want your game idea to become a reality, development will happen naturally and it'll feel more like playing than working.

If you're programming just to make money (or fulfill some dumb class assignment), it'll feel tedious, agonizingly frustrating, even painful and soul-sucking.

However, that's just the reality of life.  You're probably going to have to do at least some of the latter before you get to do the former.  Just do your best to separate them in your mind and don't let the latter ruin the former.

Another possibility you might consider is changing your major, maybe even major in something else and get a minor in CS if that's allowed by your school.

While having a CS degree is good if you eventually want to work as an engineer in games, it's not essential.  In fact many successful games industry software engineers come from other fields such as math or the sciences.  If you are willing to learn programming (and other game dev-related topics) in your spare time, then having a degree with a solid math and problem solving background is a viable option.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!