Is my Concept and Game Mechanics strong enough for an Advergame?

Started by
3 comments, last by JoAndRoPo 8 years ago

Hi! I’m made a concept for an advergame and I would like to know if it’s good enough to be proposed. Your thoughts on it would be highly appreciated.

Here goes!!!

A recliner shooting a penalty shot at a soccer match.

Note: The client is from a furniture company and there’s a major soccer match about to take place sometime during this month. The client wants to showcase this product in a game during the match season. So it’s a simple concept I came up with. I played small 2D ‘soccer penalty’ games online and thus came up with the idea.

Below is a brief info about the summary.

1. 2D/3D –
    1. The recliner will be in 3D and will be realistic to match the actual product.
    2. The rest of the environment and characters can have a semi-realistic feel to it.
  2. Engine – Unity 3D
  3. Platform - Web-based
  4. Controls – Mouse and Space button
    1. Mouse – to slide the recliner a bit to the right and left so that the ball can be shot at different directions at the goal post.
    2. RMB – activate the backrest to catapult the ball upwards.
    3. LMB – activate the footrest to shoot the ball downwards.
    4. Space – ball appears from top the recliner.
  5. Age – 12 and above

Game Mechanics

1. Gameplay: The player has to make as many goals as possible within the given time limit/number of balls.
  2. Limited Time / Limited Balls: (Which will make a better gameplay?)
    1. If limited time: Countdown timer is displayed at the top corner of the game screen.
    2. If limited balls: Limited balls is displayed at the top corner of the game screen.
  3. Obstacles:
    1. Soccer characters are seen running across the game screen. If player hits one of the soccer characters with the ball, it bounces away and thus wasting time/balls.
    2. Goal Keeper: Goal keeper (AI) tries it’s best to anticipate the path of the ball.
  4. Score:
    1. If limited time: Score is based depending on the number of goals made. Therefore, for each goal, the player gets 100 points and so on.
    2. If limited balls: the same concept as limited time. But only 10 balls will be allowed to the player. (TBT (to be tested))
    3. Score Page: Top 10 scores will be displayed on the left side of the score page.
  5. Environment:
    1. Soccer stadium.
    2. Fans are seen behind the goal post – 2D animated.
    3. Recliner (Not a character but the main object in the game)
    4. Goal Keeper
    5. 2 or more soccer characters
  6. Music and SFX: There will be music on/off button displayed on the Start page and Score Page. (Should there be a music on/off button? It's a small game.)
    1. Music: Yes
    2. SFX: Yes
    3. (I usually make a table with a complete elaborated info on the Music and SFX)
  7. Advertising:
    1. Start Screen: Product is displayed, the company logo and slogan.
    2. Score Page: Same as start screen but the product is displayed on the left side and the top 10 scores are displayed on the right side.
    3. Link: Link to the company’s site is placed in the Start Screen and Score Page.
    4. Social Networking: Company’s Facebook and Twitter logos are seen in the Start Screen and Score Page.
  8. Host: Where is the best place to showcase this Advergame? In Facebook, Client Site, etc.?

Well, that’s about it!!!

And yes, I’m a Game Designer. I have created GDDs before and in fact got few games published. My biggest regret is not understanding coding or maybe learning it. I’m intermediate in Photoshop, Illustrator, Maya and I know Word, Excel, Power Point and some few other simple software’s that helps me in creating a GDD.

I would really appreciate if you can give me a feedback on the following points:

1. Concept? If not up to the point, what can I add or remove to make the game better?
  2. Mechanics? Is it up to the point? I would like to get a feedback from a programmer. Is the info enough for you to make the game?
  3. Can this work as an advergame? If no, please tell me why?
  4. Understanding- If this was a GDD (I've made bigger ones), is it good enough to be called one?

Thanks for helping me out!!!

Advertisement

0. Is my Concept and Game Mechanics strong enough for an Advergame?
1. Hi! I’m made a concept for an advergame and I would like to know if it’s good enough to be proposed. ...
2. Note: The client is from a furniture company and there’s a major soccer match about to take place sometime during this month. The client wants to showcase this product in a game during the match season.
3. Host: Where is the best place to showcase this Advergame? In Facebook, Client Site, etc.?
4. Can this work as an advergame? If no, please tell me why?
5. Understanding- If this was a GDD (I've made bigger ones), is it good enough to be called one?

Ro and Jo,
You posted a Game Design question in the Writing forum. I'm moving this to the Game Design forum.
0. Sure, why not.
1. You mean to pitch it to this furniture company person? Sure, why not.
2. Making a game in one month (less) is highly problematic and doubtful.
3. This is a business question, not a Game Design question.
4. Sure, why not.
5. No. It's not a GDD. But you don't have time to write a GDD.

Edit: I just wanted to come back and explain my flippant "sure, why nots." You asked if it's possible.
The answer to almost every "is it possible" question is "yes," because most anything is possible.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

0. Is my Concept and Game Mechanics strong enough for an Advergame?
1. Hi! I’m made a concept for an advergame and I would like to know if it’s good enough to be proposed. ...
2. Note: The client is from a furniture company and there’s a major soccer match about to take place sometime during this month. The client wants to showcase this product in a game during the match season.
3. Host: Where is the best place to showcase this Advergame? In Facebook, Client Site, etc.?
4. Can this work as an advergame? If no, please tell me why?
5. Understanding- If this was a GDD (I've made bigger ones), is it good enough to be called one?

Ro and Jo,
You posted a Game Design question in the Writing forum. I'm moving this to the Game Design forum.
0. Sure, why not.
1. You mean to pitch it to this furniture company person? Sure, why not.
2. Making a game in one month (less) is highly problematic and doubtful.
3. This is a business question, not a Game Design question.
4. Sure, why not.
5. No. It's not a GDD. But you don't have time to write a GDD.

Edit: I just wanted to come back and explain my flippant "sure, why nots." You asked if it's possible.
The answer to almost every "is it possible" question is "yes," because most anything is possible.

Hi Tom, Thanks for replying :) . I will be careful next time to where I add my questions.

As you mentioned in point 2, making this game in less than a month is going to be hard. But Alas! I have a boss to convince :( .

And for the possible part, I usually have a decent group of colleagues at work where I can share my thoughts and ideas to polish a game concept. But just recently I shifted to a new place where people have played games but has no clue on how a game is made from scratch. That's why I ended up here. This site is a treasure trove.

Once again, Thank you.

As you mentioned in point 2, making this game in less than a month is going to be hard. But Alas! I have a boss to convince .

Convince him of what? I hope you're telling him honestly that it can't be done in a month.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

As you mentioned in point 2, making this game in less than a month is going to be hard. But Alas! I have a boss to convince .

Convince him of what? I hope you're telling him honestly that it can't be done in a month.

It's fine... I explained to him about the risks of making a game in a month. He understands... Thanks :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement